Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

One of the things I have noted on my new '08 GL1800 is that the handlebars are too low. The reach to them seems fine, but my shoulders definitely sag, which creates fatigue between my shoulderblades. It's still more comfortable than my Nomad, but I'm looking for a riser kit that provides more rise and less pull-back. I also don't want the handlebars any narrower than they are.

In doing some research, I've narrowed my choices to;

Kuryakyn GL1800 5- Position Handlebar Risers
or the

REG-18358

The Kurys are only $59, where the REG's are $99. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

I use the Kuryakyn 's. I have them spread out, as far as they will go and as high as they will go. they work great. When I did this, I noticed that the handle bars are at the extent of their limits.The still have a full travel radius (didn't hit anything) and there was no 'tightening' of the cables of hoses. Well. there was some contact with the window. Nothing that I couldn't fix. They do the trick, wouldn't leave home without them.

Don't know about the REG-1835, you may want to ask about them if you go that route.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

These kinds of questions are very hard to answer as your physical build in not known.

If you are of normal size and around 5 foot 8 to 10 up to six foot tall the Kury risers work fine and do all you ask.

If you have very short arms and need more pull back on the bars then the REG ones have almost three inches of pull back .

That is the only difference between the two, is the REG ones allow you to move the end of the handle bars back more than the Kury ones. You get a max of 2 inches with the Kury, and you can get 3 inches with the REGs.

The Regs are relatively new, made by private individual and sold on the Direct Line site.

Kit

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the input everyone! From what I understand, the REG risers allow one to actually move the bars away from the current position AND widen the span from left to right, and of course raise them as well. The bars are already too close to me, so an inch or so away would be great. Also, low speed handling would improve with the grips widened. Does anyone know if the Kurys will do this?

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Imnotlost wrote:
......Also, low speed handling would improve with the grips widened. Does anyone know if the Kurys will do this?
They did, for me. I am 6'4" and the stock set up always had the handle bar in my lower rib cage when making slow speed turns. It was very uncomfortable and awkward. It made controlling the throttle a lot harder.

The risers solve this. Now I am a lot smoother and don't have that 'lurching' that I used to have in slow, tight turns. Plus it gives me better leverage now.

Because the risers are 5 positions, you'll have to 'play' with this to make it fit you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.