Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Im looking to install some LED driving lights and perhaps some ground effect lights (still considering it). Thing is, I dont want to cut into the "tank" to install the switches.

So, the ideal solution for aux switches IMO would be a handle bar mounted switch pod that is waterproof. I believe police bikes have something like this as I saw something like that on speeders.

If this seems a bit much, I can probably see why. I guess, is there another switchoption that I could usefor my GL1100?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

In my ignorance, my question to you is do you have rectangular or round master cylynder for your brake?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

It would not be a particularly difficult excercise to buy a black,weatherproof,electrical junction box, and either drill in round switches or cut for rectangular switches.

Using a nice U clamp this should then not be difficult to mount on the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Silverfox> I have the rectangle master. But ill be changing it soon (another story there).

ccsailor > I dont have the front faring, perhaps Im not sure which pocket youre referring to, but I like hidden and weather proof :) My wing is stripped and only has harley saddle bags. I was thinking of putting some waterproof switches mounted on a bracket of some sort under the tank. Opposite side of the petcock.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If you are hoping to tuck it away somewhere, then how about this idea... get an old case from photographic slides, remember them, a bit larger than a cigarette packet usually with a yellow base and clear plastic top. This would do for a small housing for the switches to keep them water proofed. Again, you could soon get a small bracket to suit the position and a rattle can of black paint will disguise the box.

My thought otherwise regarding the cylinder was to just buy the purpose made switchgear as found from Cyclemax or wherever.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

you want a marinestore or a radio shackfor waterproof switches, do a search on ebay "waterproof switches" there is some good ones on uk ebay, ideally you want the one thats sits on top of the mastercylinder but they are like hens teeth to get hold of

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

What Broke Wing has highlighted was exactly what I was thinking of. :clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Well, I'm prolly gonna catch all holy heck here...but...ask yourself if or when you've ever used your kill switch...except for maybe when it got bumped, and then you were trying to figure out why the bike wouldn't start? :baffled:

I spliced into it on my then-brand-new '77 GL1000, and used it to control my "fuzz-buster", so the police couldn't tell if I had one or not. All I'm sayin' is...I have never needed or used the kill switch for its intended purpose, on any machine I've owned that had them...not boats, not snowmobiles, not motorcycles.

I think the kill switch idea comes from professional racing, where the drivers are actually tethered to the switch, which disconnects the ignition if they should be "bucked off" the vehicle...it seems to me, that if we need the kill switch and have the time to flip it, there would also be time to turn off the ignition key...:cool:

But it seems you will need more than one switch, so the whole thing is probably just rhetoric anyway...:action:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

FenderHead wrote:
Well, I'm prolly gonna catch all holy heck here...but...ask yourself if or when you've ever used your kill switch...except for maybe when it got bumped, and then you were trying to figure out why the bike wouldn't start? :baffled:

I spliced into it on my then-brand-new '77 GL1000, and used it to control my "fuzz-buster", so the police couldn't tell if I had one or not. All I'm sayin' is...I have never needed or used the kill switch for its intended purpose, on any machine I've owned that had them...not boats, not snowmobiles, not motorcycles.

I think the kill switch idea comes from professional racing, where the drivers are actually tethered to the switch, which disconnects the ignition if they should be "bucked off" the vehicle...it seems to me, that if we need the kill switch and have the time to flip it, there would also be time to turn off the ignition key...:cool:

But it seems you will need more than one switch, so the whole thing is probably just rhetoric anyway...:action:
I mentioned in another thread only the other day how I couldn't see any great use for the kill switch. :?:)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,160 Posts
imported post

The only feature I have found useful for the Kill Switch, is to cause me instant consternation when it gets inadvertantly activated. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
The only feature I have found useful for the Kill Switch, is to cause me instant consternation when it gets inadvertantly activated. :baffled:
I think you can get cream for that consternation these days AZ!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.