Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Would like some feedback from owners that have ridden both 1500's and 1800's and can compare the handling?? Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
109 Posts
imported post

Ride them both and you will see why they call the 1800 a "couch rocket"
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you like sportier handling, faster on the curves, and more power the 1800 is for you. If you prefer a bit more comfort, more luggage spaceand long distance riding the 1500 has it's advantages.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

Naturally the 1800 is better in all things. But you cannot really believe me as I am a bit biased about the 1800. Kit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
imported post

A real issue with the 1800 is that people with long legs may not find it as comfortable as the 1500. Some people find their knees getting right up to the fairing.

I've also heard it said that you get a little better weather protection on the 1500.

But I wouldn't trade my 1800 for anything.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
679 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
A real issue with the 1800 is that people with long legs may not find it as comfortable as the 1500. Some people find their knees getting right up to the fairing.

I've also heard it said that you get a little better weather protection on the 1500.

But I wouldn't trade my 1800 for anything.
I'm 6'2" and at first I felt a little cramped on the 1800 - leg wise. But after only a few months on it, I am comfortable and use to the riding position. Definitely bolt on some highway pegs though.

The weather protection is great!

1832 cc's is excessive, but I like a little excess in the HP department and the handling is amazing for a 900+ lb bike. Feels light, well balanced, as friend of mine warned me, "it can get a bit sporty."

Wouldn't trade mine either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
imported post

My wife says the back seat was more comfortable on the 1500 because the back on the 1800 leans back. There is an aftermarket replacement I'll have to get for her. I've noticed the 1800 seems to have better wind protection for the driver in cold weather. Our bike is the base model (no comfort package), and in colder weather I don't get the nice warm air flow from the vents as I did on the 1500.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
716 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
If you like sportier handling, faster on the curves, and more power the 1800 is for you. If you prefer a bit more comfort, more luggage spaceand long distance riding the 1500 has it's advantages.
I'm in total agreement with Paul on this one.

Tim :bat:
 

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
Joined
·
4,513 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
If you like sportier handling, faster on the curves, and more power the 1800 is for you. If you prefer a bit more comfort, more luggage spaceand long distance riding the 1500 has it's advantages.
You asked about handling... but you also pay extra (or less, depending on your perspective) for these differences
 

·
Probationary
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
imported post

I have to agree on the comforts of the 1500 for longer legs on trips, but I'd trade mine even for an 1800 with the same miles in a second.

The 1800 has a lower center of gravity & superior braking, no small issues on a BIG bike.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
397 Posts
imported post

The 1800 handles better without question. It has better suspension, it corners better, and has more power and better gas mileage. I get4 miles per gallon better on the 1800. Night vision is much improved on the 1800 it has twice as many head lights as the 1500 and it makes a big difference. The 1800 is actually lighter than the 1500 partly becausethe 1800has an aluminum frame. The 1800 is fuel injected eliminating warm ups, just start it up and go.

The fairing on the 1500 is wider giving better wind protection. The 1500 feels heavier andrequires a little more effortto turn especially at slower speeds. The 1500 has more storage space in both the trunk and saddle bags. The 1500 has smaller side ventsthat give off less heat, a plus in the warm weather and a minus in the cold. The back tire on my 1500 would last about 20,000 miles, I get about half that on the 1800.

Changing spark plugs and oil are easier on the 1800, but the air filter is easier to get at on the 1500.

Pulling a trailer is about the same on both bikes except the obvious power difference on the 1800. My better half likes the 1800 better and says it is more comfortable. The 1500 had atravelcade road sofa on it, the 1800 has the stock seat, but it has only 11,000 miles on it.
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

3rdwing wrote:
The 1800 handles better without question. It has better suspension, it corners better, and has more power and better gas mileage. I get4 miles per gallon better on the 1800. Night vision is much improved on the 1800 it has twice as many head lights as the 1500 and it makes a big difference. The 1800 is actually lighter than the 1500 partly becausethe 1800has an aluminum frame. The 1800 is fuel injected eliminating warm ups, just start it up and go.

The fairing on the 1500 is wider giving better wind protection. The 1500 feels heavier andrequires a little more effortto turn especially at slower speeds. The 1500 has more storage space in both the trunk and saddle bags. The 1500 has smaller side ventsthat give off less heat, a plus in the warm weather and a minus in the cold. The back tire on my 1500 would last about 20,000 miles, I get about half that on the 1800.

Changing spark plugs and oil are easier on the 1800, but the air filter is easier to get at on the 1500.

Pulling a trailer is about the same on both bikes except the obvious power difference on the 1800. My better half likes the 1800 better and says it is more comfortable. The 1500 had atravelcade road sofa on it, the 1800 has the stock seat, but it has only 11,000 miles on it.
Good review 3rdwing!! :clapper::clapper::clapper:
 

·
Probationary
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
imported post

It didn't see the word "handling" in the question.

The 1800 is in another class as far as its superior handling. Not that the 1500 is any slob.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
imported post

3rdwing wrote:
The 1800 handles better without question. It has better suspension, it corners better, and has more power and better gas mileage. I get4 miles per gallon better on the 1800. Night vision is much improved on the 1800 it has twice as many head lights as the 1500 and it makes a big difference. The 1800 is actually lighter than the 1500 partly becausethe 1800has an aluminum frame. The 1800 is fuel injected eliminating warm ups, just start it up and go.

The fairing on the 1500 is wider giving better wind protection. The 1500 feels heavier andrequires a little more effortto turn especially at slower speeds. The 1500 has more storage space in both the trunk and saddle bags. The 1500 has smaller side ventsthat give off less heat, a plus in the warm weather and a minus in the cold. The back tire on my 1500 would last about 20,000 miles, I get about half that on the 1800.

Changing spark plugs and oil are easier on the 1800, but the air filter is easier to get at on the 1500.

Pulling a trailer is about the same on both bikes except the obvious power difference on the 1800. My better half likes the 1800 better and says it is more comfortable. The 1500 had atravelcade road sofa on it, the 1800 has the stock seat, but it has only 11,000 miles on it.
3rdwing tagged it all (almost) with this post.

I will add that the 1500 will keep your legs, feet, hands and arms much drier when riding rain. I understand that there are a number of aftermarket plastic parts for the 1800 that can be added to keep your lower parts drier.
 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
59,710 Posts
imported post

Darn,

I wanted to comment that I had rode an 1800 and how it compared to my 1500. but it would just repeat all that was posted here already :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
imported post

EEH HEMMMMM :D. What's not to love?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top