Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

One of the projects I want to start on is a cargo trailer. Through recently searched post I'll use the harbour Freight trailer. Being a 1100 should I use the 8" or 12" wheel model from them. I want to set it up to remove the cargo carrier and haul some other items when not camping. I already have the hitch and ball that came on the bike. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

I would use the 12". People here from the past trailer discussions 4 out of 5 Wingers recommend it!

I don't believe the 1200 cares which size tires the trailer has but you'llhave a better ride, no sway, and the bearings don't spin as fast.

I'm sure others will come along with their 2 cents as well. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

i pulled one last year with 8" tires from here to the Dragon and back, sometimes I forgot it was behind me...never had any trouble

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I used 12 inch, less bounce. I suredidn't see any advantage to the 8 inch. Built it last summer.

Then I got a 20 ft[suP]3 [/suP]cargo trailer after narrowing the trailer by 5 inches. Then, put a PVC bumper on it with site poles.

Added: I used 1/4" treated wood before mounting the carrier... I soon learned no wood is necessary. Carriercould havebeen bolted right to the trailer, so easy.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

12"
better load, wear and handling

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

8" lower center of gravity.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I was financially stuck with the 8" wheels, so I opted for GOOD bearings and races (Timken), and installed "bearingbuddies" on the rebuilt hubs.I have on;y towed the frame around with no carrier yet (can't decide, and I'm broke!). It was fine with 8" wheels so far. You can always go bigger later. Mine is made from an old HF trailer,too. Have fun, Jimsjinx

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I started with the 8" wheels, later went to the 12", pulled easier, less bearing wear, less bounce on potholes. My 1100 didn't care which way, nor does the 1500, but running 70 to 80, the wheel bearings are not as warm after 100 miles with the 12" wheels, actually, they don't really even get warm with the 12 inchers, where as the 8 inchers would get quite warm at speeds above 70 for extended times. Both bikes could easily pull the trailer with 600 lbs, the 1500 can slow it down a little better than the 81 could.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

A timely thread. I purchased a used HF trailer last summer. Just came in from tearing
it down to repaint. I was wondering the same thing about the tire/wheel combo.
Might just leave the 8's on it for the time being.
David

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Hey Popeye, what brand and model is the carrier that is bolted
on your trailer frame?

Where did you get it and how much did it cost ya?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

2slim wrote:
Hey Popeye, what brand and model is the carrier that is bolted
on your trailer frame?

Where did you get it and how much did it cost ya?

Thanks in advance.
Hey 2slim, keep your eye in your local craigs list. I found one that a guy bought when he moved here from the east coast. He bought it for a one way trip. The carrier that he paid almost $200 for I picked up from him for 40. I see them there all the time. This is like the one I have.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Thanks 82winginvegas, I'll do that.

Is the carrier you bought fairly heavy duty? I am looking for a
replacement clam shell to replace one currently on a good trailer frame.
The box is an 80's vintage plastic box that, in spite of being cared
for, is just falling apart. Ozone and UV?

I haven't been able to get out of town to look in the stores to see
what's available.

I want something sturdy, of course.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

2slim, check the auto care department at Sears. They're closing out the older style car top carrier like on my trailer but with a taller lid for more room. The local store here had 4 of them left back in the fall and on sale for 99 bucks instead of the normal 200.

Like this one on my brother's trailer. Sorry about the focus, cell phone camera.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Thanks Bagmaster, I'll call Sears in Bend.

How many cubic feet is the one you have?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Don't know, probably around 11. It held all our camping gear and luggage when we went to Calhoun with a little pushing and shoving here and there. But we carried a big tent and double sized air mattress that took up a lot of room. All told, about 300 lbs. of gear plus a full cooler with ice, drinks and food.

We took more than we really needed so the next trip will be better packed.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I don't have a hitch on my bike but was gonna try to get a used one to pull my canoe. I got rid of my van and have no way to transport it. The longest trips would be 250 miles mainly interstate. The canoe is aluminum and pretty light and I'd haul it upside down. Are there and saftey faactor I should know about doing this. A Light trailer with a light 16' canoe on the interstate on a windy day. any suggestions. I was thinking 8" wheels to keep it low and something from harbor frieght.

Al

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Somebody posted a picture a while back of the canoe he pulls behind his Wing on a really long trailer. Uses the canoe to haul all the camping gear in. That was about 3 months ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.