Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys,

Has anyone used a Harbor Freight lift for their Wing? There's cheap ones and more expensive ones. Even the cheap ones have a rated capacity for 1500#. I think I've heard good reviews on them but can't remember. I've been using HF tools for quite some time now and for the most part, I've been satisfied. Once in a while you get a bad one and have to take it back and geta replacement or, get the money back and go buy a name brand unit.

I just thought I'd ask to see if anyones had good luckwith their lifts. Thanks

Scott

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I have had mine on Lopeha's HF lift a couple of times, works great. I guess if it can handle the 1500, then it should be able to handle any other bike. The only problem is that it is a little narrow, with the 1500, that makes it tricky to drive it onto the thing.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It depends on whether you are talking about a jack or a lift. I think both of the Harbor Freight Jacks and the heavier 1200 pound lift are great for the person who wishes to use them for the occasional repair. I have a harbor freight jack and a sears jack, both are about equal. One lets the bike down slower is all. I used to have a harbor freight lift, it was ok, a little tippy up at its highest point, but you can weld a cross bar out of pipe to the rear of it and stop that.

A lot of harbor freight stuff is ok. some is not, you have to watch out for electrical things if you intend to use it a lot, and their air guns like air impact wrenches and so on you do have to select carefully as the little spring clip to hold the sockets on tends to mess up easily on some of them.

Hand tools are great, and hey you can buy a whole sackfull of them for what one would cost at sears. And their Pittsburg line is now lifetime warranteed.

I generally go to harbor freight if I have to take my wife shopping, I will aways find a way to go by there.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking no matter what the label all the jacks and lifts are made in the same Chinese slave factory. I can't tell the difference between the HF and the PepBoys rig or my friends Sears&Robucks unit

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

My friend has a HF lift, which you drive the bike on. When he first attempted to use it, it wouldn't go up. He took out the check valve, cleaned and re-installed it, and then it was fine. He likes it. He also has a HF jack, which you position under the bike. He is satisfied with that also.

I have a Craftsman jack, so far so good. Got it on sale for $65.00

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

USED A DRIVE-ON LIFT AT MY FRIENDS FOR A FEW GL 1500 JOBS AND IT WAS VERY PLEASANT ...BUT THERE VERY EXPENSIVE AND TAKE UP ROOM....YOU NEED EM FOR A BUISNESS BUT NOT HOME.....GOT A JC WHITNEY 79$ PUSH UNDER LIFT FOR THE HARLEY....GOT TO HAVE IT FOR THAT MACHINE....NO CENTERSTAND... BUT I WILL DEFINATELY USE IT NOW ON THE WING TOO AND HAVE LESS A BACKACHE;)

WORKS GREAT SO FAR BUT ONLYTIME WILL TELL ON THE CHINEESE PUMP SEAL

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

where is it safe to lift? i'm looking at mine and only feel comfortable lifting on the center stand or engine ,but i'm not real sure about lifting on the engine ,just got my 86 and don't want to do any damage thanks Dave

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

already thought about that!!...havent figured it out yet but youll probably need a couple of small boards to fit around the eng and only lift the framework...mine barely fit(hight) under the hd and had to gorilla it up onto it cause she shocks were dead...
i havent sized it up for the wing yet.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

grambo wrote:
I have one of the Canadian issue lift's. You are right about the Chinese "O" ring in the pump. Mine gave up, I called the mfg in California to see if they were Metric or Imperial since I had tried both & neither would work. I was told that they were not allowed to sell new "O" rings or rebuild kits for liability issues. They suggested I try a Hydraulics shop. There I was told that the Chinese do not use Metric or Imperial sized "O" rings. They have a size of their own which can not be acquired anywhere. This shop owned by a friend of mine refuses to work on any of this type of pump & consider them throw away. :baffled: Don't ask where I got a replacement "O" ring. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
wow...i didnt know that.....well one good thing is i can use another jack in the pad lift area as long as it is roughly the same size...i can get another jack for 30 or so buk... instead of burning the town down tryin to get it fixed if needed
...hey im from motreal a':cool:
grambo wrote:
I have one of the Canadian issue lift's. You are right about the Chinese "O" ring in the pump. Mine gave up, I called the mfg in California to see if they were Metric or Imperial since I had tried both & neither would work. I was told that they were not allowed to sell new "O" rings or rebuild kits for liability issues. They suggested I try a Hydraulics shop. There I was told that the Chinese do not use Metric or Imperial sized "O" rings. They have a size of their own which can not be acquired anywhere. This shop owned by a friend of mine refuses to work on any of this type of pump & consider them throw away. :baffled: Don't ask where I got a replacement "O" ring. :waving:

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

Ive got one of the 300$ HF lifts. It needs help to lift the wing (floor jack for about 6 inches in the front) then it lifts fine. It will lift my 84 venture or my daughters virago with no problem straight from all the way down. a Friend has one and has K1100 and it doesnt have any trouble lifting it. Wished I had one of these years ago, the bike jacks are ok but it is so much better to not have to crawl around on hands and knees.

I also had to extend the front of it about 12 inches to allow the center stand to clear the rear trap door (both big bikes), but it really simplifies tire changes on the rear. still need to pull the saddle bag. I also made side boards 12 inches wide, about 8 inches high for my feet while driving up and off, as was noted they are narrow. other problem I have to fix is they a slick when backing off and the tires slide on them. Will add some paint and sand for traction when I get a chance.

They do serve the purpose and are very handy. Yes they take up room, but thats why you have 4x4 right it will straddle!

If ya get one make sure you fully raise the front to keep from sliding you may also need to put the front pads on some rubber matting as they will slide on a concrete floor as you try to ride up and on to it.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

I just bought the 1000 lbs air lift. Store has it on sale right now for $349 ( $499 online ). It was a special order. They shipped it to the store, no cost.

[

They had the 1200# lift on sale for $399 ( $599 online ). I didnt like the way the scissor style legs moved, so I bought the one above because the fame looks more stable to me.

I cant comment on how mine works yet. Just picked it up yesterday evening. Keeping it in the back of the truck until I get the man cave finished.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I have one. I have used it a lot and it works well with both my 1200 and my 1500, however these bikes are at the limit of the load and size range, so you want to use care when loading and lifting.

I wouldn't dream of riding the bike up on the lift, it's not big enough tohandle that.

It's a little on the short side though and it needed to be extended just a bit to allow for the rear tire plate to be removed.

I added a page on my website reviewing my experience with it. There are pictures and description to give a good idea of what to expect.

http://www.hrot.org/martino/goldwing/lift/index.htm

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

hank85713 wrote:
other problem I have to fix is they a slick when backing off and the tires slide on them. Will add some paint and sand for traction when I get a chance.

They do serve the purpose and are very handy. Yes they take up room, but thats why you have 4x4 right it will straddle!

If ya get one make sure you fully raise the front to keep from sliding you may also need to put the front pads on some rubber matting as they will slide on a concrete floor as you try to ride up and on to it.
Your saying the lift surface is too slick? I might get some non-slip stair treads.

As for taking up garage floor space, I plan on parking the bike on it when not in use.

Which model do you have, that you need the rubber matting to keep it from sliding?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I have the HF lift. It has served me well. The deck, like others have stated needs some non-slip material. One bit of warning,,,,once you let your friends know about the lift they all want to bring their bikes over to TEST it..lol.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

You do not ride a bike up on a lift. That is just asking for trouble, as the bike's front wheel comes up on the lift, your feet are all of a sudden a foot off the floor.

You put the bike up on the lifts by walking beside them and carefully walking them up on the lift, under power if possible. If not assistance is needed to push it up on the lift.

This way when the bike gets in position you are already on the left hand side of the bike and you just hit the kill switch and run the front wheel chock up to secure the bike enough to allow you to strap it down. (or throw those mickey mouse vice type front wheel chocks away and install a condor auto lock in its place)

Always........if on the centerstand on a lift, strap the centerstand to the front crash bar.

So easy to get hurt.......so quick, these bikes are heavy.

Kit

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

As I posted I made side boards for my feet so I am always in touch with something solid. also they give a way to step off the bike. the front legs would slide even with a lot of pressure on them. My son had to hold the front while trying to get the bike up on it. I have some rubber mat so I raised it up and put some under the legs and it doesnt move now.

I thought about putting a bike on it to store, but my truck will straddel it so that is not an issue. None slip paint or tape whatever will keep the tires from sliding when the brakes are applied. I just plan to use some regular paint and add sand, just like in the military.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

I use one my father bought me from sears, is just like the harbor freight one - works great. I was in Tractor Supply a couple of weeks ago and they had them clearanced out for 39.00.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

viper 2
we own one now for 2 yaers and i'm going to set it up for our goldwing trike and here is a picture of the trike. we going to put on the lift.by the way i use it and love it. no problems with it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.