Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Everyone,
I have the smaller Harbor Freight trailer.
I am going to build the upper part, the box. It will be used to hold my camping equipment etc.
My question is the max height I should limit too?
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Good question Wildrat, I was thinking of the same thing. My trailer has 12" wheels, so it's already going to be quite high off the ground. What Im thinking of as of now.

Cutting the trailer bed down to (Roughly) 55" long by 35" wide.

From the bed of the trailer, build a box the size of the trailer bed by 10" high, with a single rear door (35" x 10") That Locks to hold this:
http://www.meijer.com/s/kamp-rite-double-tent-cot-with-rain-fly/_/R-167905?CAWELAID=895421131&cmpid=goobase

Then on top of that, put a car top carrier which I do not have yet, but in looking, some of them are 18 to 20 inches high.

All in all, I could be 40 to 50" high.....

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

My thought is to have the box on top to hold all my stuff. The top would fold out to a length of 8'7" long supported underneath with legs similar to the item you linked too. My tent would attach to this deck keeping me off the ground.
I thought of using a cartop carrier but I will be giving up room due to it's contours.
Hopefully the trailer users will chime in.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I like your idea. What would be your estimated height? Could you build a box type thing that I was talking about, but use it to store the flat panels that pull out. You could bolt on some legs that fold down........... Just thinking out loud...

Im going to try to do mine with Aluminum diamond plate for strength and weight.

We don't need a trailer user, We need a trailer builder!!

Good luck with your build. Don't forget pictures!

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Please post pictures as you build it. I am one of those buy it and put it together kind of guys.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I got my idea off of this show on Discovery called Moonshiners. The fella had his trailer behind is Harley. His trailer was approx. 16-18 " tall. The top folded out and he thru his sleeping bag out on the platform. I am going to use piano hinge for the fold out decking and a combination of treated plywood and aluminum angle for construction not unless I can source some inexpensive metal.
I will tell you which tent I have. I have to look first though because of forgetfulness. I also have the tent floor protector, two different sleeping bags, and an airbed/mattress for further comfort. I hope to have most of my suevival gwar compartmentalized in the trailer. I also hope to incorporate solar cells into the trailer to charge a battery which I can use for various things.
My tent is a Alps Mountaineering Chaos 2.
I figure I will use a tarp to cover gear when deck is folded out.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Just a 'Heads Up', John.

A BIG problem with those 'cot tents', is that there is no place too store your gear inside out of the rainand 2, where you going to get changed, especially when it's raining?

Have you ever actually had a look at/inside one? I have and they're pretty small/cramped, evenfor just 1 person.

If you guys want to see some pretty interesting camper/trailer builds, hop on over to MotoCampers.com and have a look around .... Tell 'em Dusty sent ya.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Just a 'Heads Up', John.

A BIG problem with those 'cot tents', is that there is no place too store your gear inside out of the rainand 2, where you going to get changed, especially when it's raining?

Have you ever actually had a look at/inside one? I have and they're pretty small/cramped, evenfor just 1 person.

If you guys want to see some pretty interesting camper/trailer builds, hop on over to MotoCampers.com and have a look around .... Tell 'em Dusty sent ya.
Yea, I thought about that Dusty. Generally when we are camping, I sleep in my clothes. Don't know why....., camping isn't like being at home. Most camp grounds hopefully have some type of Bathroom / Shower accommodations, which I would use for changing. For the cot tent, I want the availability of something quick to set up and fold away for those trips were we just pull in to sleep then back at it in the morning. As far as the trailer goes, The space that is used for this, can also be used for a bigger tent and proper gear so when we want to have better accommodations, the trailer will carry it as well.

I started looking at MotoCamper a couple of weeks ago. When I was at Front Royal, I remembered a trailer there that belonged to BountyHunter that I really liked. So I contacted him and he pointed me there.

Sorry Wildrat for hi jacking your thread, don't mean too, however the info gained will help both of us thinking the trailer plans through the conception phase, and theres no better at camping gear and supplies as Dusty, I appreciate his input.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

My build is using a regular tent. As far as rain and changing, I auppose since I will be camping, I will find more suitable shelter or liked just crawl in the tent to change. If the tent is aeup I will likely already be inside hiding from the rain not unless I am hunting mutant rats and cockroaches for dinner.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

These phones spelling corrections are crappy.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Just a 'Heads Up', John.

Dusty is right on this.

I have used a cot tent for one season of camping. 12 over night stays in it. It took some getting used to and I am not sure I would recommend it. I need a good cot for comfort and the tent mounts on top, and packs small so it does well as sleep gear for a quick over night. I use the cot tent for solo travel only. For actual camping, I prefer my 6 man tent and pulling my tag along trailer.

You have to be ready for bed when you crawl into it and there is no room for the use of a "night time pee bottle." My method of use has been to go to sleep in my clothes until nature calls, then get up and get that done and then strip my clothes off and leave them in the bottom of the sleeping bag.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

When camping, besides a suitably sized tent (does NOT have to be large/huge!!) .... A Tarp is a campers best/most cherishedaccessory!

I mainly use them to create a covered/protected 'kitchen' area, so I can cook, work, or just sit and read/look out when it's either raining, or hot n sunny. ... all in a minimum sized 'package'

or, used to shelter/protect your tent from rain so your tent is fairly dry to pack up in the morning ...

Or, both ....

If you haven't seen it before, here's a video I did demonstrating 3 easy to tie knotsand just as importantly, untie, for setting your tarp.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/r2fdTtKuQRE&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Either of my tents (the brown ones)can be put up/taken down in just5 minutes, or less if it's raining and both provide me with sheltered space for all my gear and I can dress/undress in them.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ok,
Let's get back to the original question.
The max height of the box I propose to build.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I wiouldn't want it over 36" - 40" tall overall height, especially if it'll be carrying a lot/bulk of it's weight up high.

The lower it's C of G, the better!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

36-40 inches behind the bike?
If so I could bring tgw kitchen sink also.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

At moto-camping.com there are some home made trailer/tent combos to look at.... borrow ideas from.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

No ... not the box .... theoverall height of the trailer.

Deduct the ride height of the decking from that, so the box only, somewhere in the 16"-22"" range, max (depending on deck height)

LikeI suggested .... give that other site a look see! :?

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

This is my Bunkhouse. It has an add a room that if you just want to pull in and go to sleep its up in a couple of minutes and folds back up just as quick. No need to use the add a room.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

you can build the compartment as large as you really want to i wouldnt go 50ft high but you can go as high as your helmet box or something like that with no issues the bike will block most if not all of the wind i wouldnt be concerned about it

its a great idea

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I was thinking of around 24 inches with the box all closed up ready to go down the road. I was also thinking of making the front of the box a bit more aerodynamic rather than a flat front.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.