Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

We bought one of those small trailers with the 8" tires. I narrowed it 11" and build a 18 ga. steel box 30" wide, 32" tall and 48" long. The top 7" opens up and the back opens so I can run my power chair up into the trailer. I extended the tongue 12" to cut trailer wag.

The trailer pulls like it is not even back there even when it is about 450 lbs. total weight. Being able to haul my power chair makes it where I can get around when we get somewhere. We use the trailer for Sam's runs, feed store runs just like a pick up truck. Looking forward to putting in some camping gear and have fun this spring.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
imported post

well if you have any idea on what youre going to be putting in there, pile it together like you might be packing it and measure it. add a couple inches here and there for things you forgot and go from there. everyone is going to have different ideas of the ideal height. make your own path. or since you thought about the car top carrier way, find one you like and measure it. not trying to be an a hole, but this is going kind of the same route as tires would. good luck either way.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I was just reading a thread on the motocampers.com website and there is a link to some very good information / parts availability at:

http://compactcampingconcepts.com

This is an interesting home made trailer on the motocampers site.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
imported post

Wildrat wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I have the smaller Harbor Freight trailer.
I am going to build the upper part, the box. It will be used to hold my camping equipment etc.
My question is the max height I should limit too?
Thanks in advance!
13'6" will get you under those underpasses on all Interstates and just about allPrimary Roads.

For travel on all back roads, through covered wooden bridges, down tree lined lanes, and etc I'ld suggest somewhat lower.

How wide are you going?That would be my max, maybe less.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

On the Delphi Forum, the front page has a link to every motorcycle camper maker. The commercially made ones might spark some creative ideas of your own.

Here is that link.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
imported post

Larry your link is not there.
MoneyTrucker your description of your trailer sounds like one I read somewhere recently. The one I read was written by the wife.
I see where you lengthened the tongue to help with wag.
Due to my drunken wife I had to move to Mobile, Alabama.
I was pulling a trailer when suddenly it started wagging/fishtailing uncontrollabley. That trailer acted like it was possessed. It slung my Jeep around like it was not there.
I do not want this to happen on my bike!
Do you suggest lengthening the tongue? Is there some kind of mathematical MoneyTrucker formula or was the length from experience?
I am guessing from the responses height is not a big factor. I just did not want some tall structure causing the bike to be unstable.
Sounds like I can go 2 feet easily.
Also MoneyTrucker why did you narrow thw trailer? Was it to get it closer to the width of the Wing for aerodynamics, looks, both, or for a different reason.
Hopefully my phone won't spell check this into giblets.
Before I get phone classes, all spellcheck,grammar functions are disabled. It just does it because it's a smart phone that likes annoying me.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Wildrat wrote:
Larry your link is not there.
I have two links and they both work on my computer. Please clarify which one.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The general rule for tougue length is 1.5 to 2 x the axle width.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
imported post

So where is that measured from for the tongue?
Say the starting point is the ball where would the end point be? I hope your understanding my question, I am not, I see it.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i bought mine from hf with the 12 inch wheels i cut it down also less wide and i made wooden rails all the way around it works extrmely well building a box for it is as easy as monkeytrucker says it is the trailer is all there everything tho i did remove a leaf from the leaf springs to make it not so bouncy going down the road still its a 400-600lbs capacity trailer

·
Just one of the guys
4,800 Posts
imported post

Tongue length is measured from the axle to the ball portion of the coupler. Having the tongue 2 times the length of the axle works very well. Keeping about 10% of the weight of the trailer on the ball helps as well, usually a trailer that sways is loaded too heavey on the rear. My cargo trailer is The harbor freight with 12 inch wheels. I moved the tongue forward about 8 inches from the stock location. I built a box 2 feet tall on it. It is not narrowed and pulls just fine. I removed all but the main leaf from the springs and run the tires at about 20 pounds of air. It tows quite nicely that way but I have never had it loaded to more than about 300 pounds.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
imported post

Thanks Doug,
I will have to get the tape back out and do somemore measuring. Does not sound bad at all. y trailer will not be loaded to heavy either since it's camping equipment for one person and my Itai Wench "Italian Greyhound".
Is your box metal or wood or both?

·
Just one of the guys
4,800 Posts
imported post

I just made it out of 3/8 plywood with 2 by 2's for the framing at the seams.

·
Just one of the guys
4,800 Posts
imported post

oops, got a double post.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
imported post

Yep, I'm going to do the same except use aluminum angle for corners, seams, top edge,etc.. I am also going to use fiberglass in areas. I also plan to build a weapons box. I hope to incorporate solar cells also on the top. I thought of using an auto battery but my thought is now to use smaller batteries. Use a couple Goldwing size batteries so if for some reason I have bike battery/alternato r issues I will have spare batteries, plus I think it will be easier to distribute weight. I already have 40 or so solar cells. I am still looking at charge controllers. There are inexpensive ones and more costly ones. I have several led's for lighting. Well time to move around a little.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Wildrat, I just read your post, pretty good idea you got there fella, I beat you to it ha ha, silly rabbit, I had the idea a year or two ago and made it happen, it took some thinking and a little creativity...But it's awesome,,, here are some photo's...I got the tent at Cabela's Sports store..it's actually a cot tent but It works great on my trailer..gotta block those wheels or you might go for a ride while sleeping..I even have a smallAC unit to fit one side of the tent, freeze you out when it's 100 degree's out..I love my trailer, I have cookouts on the back of it with my small colemancamping stoveandmy smallweber...bah bah bah...:ROFL:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
imported post

Very nice! But not exactly the same idea, but similar.
My idea is have the center section on piano hinge so it can all fold out on legs. The platform would be around 16-24 inches off the ground. This will be much easier foe my big butt to get in and out of. When folded up it would look like a regular trailer except for the top would be a solar cell array.
I have thought of AC but my idea for my trailer and it's use would not permit the use of the AC unit since there would be no power. I would however have power for my CPAP machine via either 12VDC or AC from an inverter. 12VDC would be better use of energy since it would not need to be converted.
Another funny subject. LED Christmas lights on the bikes. This group I was with would go all out decorating their bikes, carrying extra auto batteries and inverters. Needless to say everytime they went somewhere and left lights on to get their pic in the newspaper they would be pushing or jumping a bike to get it started. I suggested that since the LED's worked off of DC cut the plug off inatall a resistor to drop voltage and then they could get rid of the power hog inverter. They looked at me like I was from another planet. If they did this aimple mod it would prevent bike pushing and looking silly with Christmas 'lights and a dead bike.
Another question am I going to have problems with the 8 inch wheels, I so have a spare aleeady.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

You should not have any issues with the 8" wheels I had a trailer with 8" wheels a while back, the trailer there has 12", I would advise you to remove the grease that HF supplies and use a good bearing grease instead...I carry a extra set of bearings just in case..the reason for my tent idea is that I had a bout with a racoon once and I lost..

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
imported post

racoons can be pretty feisty. When I was much younger a big coon got in a fight with our dog who was a big dog. Our dog lost!
If you ever get in a bout with a coon again all you have to do is grab him by both ears, look him in the eyes, and tell him your going to get 8 bucks for him. He will calm down real quick because they know if they don't their future is the cook pot.
This advice is for people above the Mobile Dickson line, if you are below this line just Shoot the Coon!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.