Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

I narrowed the trailer to the narrowest I could and still get my power chair into it. It is 28" wide and 34" long and the seat folds down to 28" tall. Another advantage is that where the wing goes it will go.

Yes on lengthing the tongue. It was done to stabilize towing. There is a formula and it has been posted on here. I simply moved thetongue as far forward asI could and welded a bar across the frame to weld thetongue for strength. I also thought that if I needed to balance the trailer with the chair in back with the longer length I could simply add some weight at the hitch and the distance from the axle would give me the balance without having to add more pounds. However the whole rig was perfectly balanced with about 20 lbs tongue weight.

I have pictures in the gallery but cannot get them to jump to here. Using the G does nothing. It must not like Windows 7.

:thumbsdown::waiting::readit::readit:

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

The above was directed to Wildrat.

Still learning the querks of this forum.

BTW, my screen name is from when we used to haul a Caliope Truck made from a garden tractor to antique tractor shows and parades. It was on the lines of a huckster truck. I had a Gorilla playing the calliope and mrs Gorilla was in a chair teetering on the back edge. Everyone called them monkeys so that is how I got Monkeytrucker. Had to quit that stuff as due to health problems it just was too hard on me.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
imported post

Funny

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Most of those frames are 4x4 & a lot cut them down to 3x4. With this size there is a great rule for you all to use. Howver tall it is is the cuft. ie:-48"X36"X24" + 24 cuft & this is usually more than enough for most camping gear. Remember that bulky items like charies can be mounted to the top of trailer providing it is made of wood or metal. Can't carry nought on the rooftop carriers that most of us have. I will eventuall will be building my box out of wood but what I have now will sufise for a couple of years. But my frame was built from scratch with 13" wheels.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
imported post

Nice general purpose trailer!
When I build I want to have more than one use.
So I will build to use as a foldout platform for my tent(Alps Mountaineering Chaos 2). When folded up for travel the top will have solar cells for charging a couple bike batteries which can supply power to my cpap machine, led lighting, spare batteries for bike in case of dead battery or alternator failure etc.
The inside will have a firearm storage compartment (hidden).
the front triangle part of trailer will be where I may install a 11/10 meter radio along with antenna mount. Antenna will store in trailer. I may use milk crates for storage in the trailer to make it easier to locate stuff. Put fire starting items in one, first aid and like items in one, etc.
Before I do any of this though I need to get some aluminum angle and channel from a souce other than lowes or home depot. I think gold is cheaper than their metal products.
I already have most of what I need on hand, wood, hardware, solar cells,led's, fiberglass etc.
NowI need a volunteer and the aluminum.:)

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
imported post

I just noticed the diamond wire. Maybe
I will put some on the bottom for protection from road debris hitting the bottom.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

My box is fastened to the steel plate by 5/16" bolds. the nuts are welded to the underside of the Diamond mesh. This way I jus pull out the bolts & take the box off(very, very light) & I now have a flat deck for hauling building supplies or what have you. The frame is 2"x2" 14ga. square tubing.:weightlifter::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
imported post

10-4!

·
Very active member
305 Posts
imported post

i like the look of your topper. one of the better ones i have seen. not too shabby on the trailer build either. good luck on the build, mark.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
imported post

Well got some aluminum yesterday so I can get started now. I thhink I am going to fiberglass the plywood going toward the road then paint or undercoat. I also got my Street Glide running today after months. It was the battery. It was an Interstate plus battery less than one year old bought at J&P in Ormond beach Florida. I guess it had a dead cell or shorted out. It fired on the first push of the start button after months of sitting.Now to start the trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

on that cot tent deal thigamajig..make sure you use it with a small tarp. It will leak if you don't just bungy it around if you expect rain.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
imported post

I'm not using a cot. I have a Alps Mountaineering tent Chaos 2. That was another fella with the cot tent.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
imported post

I went to a GWRRA get together yesterday. They usually have these silly games I do not play because my luck is bad even when it's a game you can't loose. I played. Spent 8 bucks for the chilli dinner, and 10 bucks for 15 games. I got 404 tickets from the games. Most everyone else was near 500 or above.
This is how lucky I am. I roll one dice and get a one, not once but several times and this was a no loose game.
Even though I did not fair well with tickets I got my money back with the prizes I choose to try and win.
I won a charcoal grill, a camp table with cup holders and an aluminum water bottle. All will go in the trailer when built.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
imported post

After a couple days of showers I cut the plywood base drilled holesand put a coat of resin on the bottom side. I am waiting for it to cure. I will apply a coat of something over this. I have not decided to just undercoat or paint. Do you want a picture of this?

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
imported post

I have taken a few pics. So far I have the firearm box and false floor complete.
I want to use piano hinge for the fold out parts(back,top,front)but the junk HD&Lowes sell are junk. I am wondering if I should just use door hinges. That makes a little more difficult to waterproof though. I will post pics soon.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.