Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just installed these Harbor Freight air horns on my"89". $13.59 after the 20% discount. I used the power supply (positive) wire that feeds one of the original horns to trigger the relay. I ran 12 gauge wire with a 30 amp. fuse to power the compressor. The compressor is in the tail trunk and the horns are mounted individually under the saddlebags. One on each side. I had to buy 2 - 5' pieces of 5/16" urethane fuel line to supply air to the horns.

THEY ARE LOUD! And the originals still work too.

They will be looking for the train when they hear these.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

There are 20% discount cuoupons in every motorcycle magazine, even Readers Digest has them. We also get fliers in our local Sunday paper with them.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Pics please...

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

I had the same style on my VTX but the trumpets kept falling off. I ended up putting Big Boy horns on.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i like mine i replaced that cheap-o relay about a week after i bought it it burned out but other than that ive had them for 3yrs on the bike saved my bacon a couple of times too

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I will take and post pics tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Okay here are some pics.I will apologize in advance for the fact that I do not know how to put multiple pics in same post.

I used 2 pieces of 3/16" x 1 1/4" x 6" aluminum to reinforce the front of the tour trunk to spread out and support the weight of the compressor.I removed the right side arm rest compartment and found the nice flat area to use for mounting. The compressor ends up in the corner of the trunk where it will be the least in the way. You can see the relay mounted to the right of the compressor so it is somewhat protected. In this pic you can see the tubing going out the bottom of the trunk. It lines up perfectly with the inside of the saddlebag.I drilled the holes through the trunk floor and just kept going into the top of the saddlebag. The hoses go through the bags and out the bottom of the bags to the horns.

I realize that some will not want to open up the bags to leakage by drilling these holes, but my bags are full of ventilation holes due to the fact thatI run the auxilliary fuel tanks in them so more holes does not matter to me.I deal with water by putting stuff that cannot get wet in ziplocks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Here is pic of front of trunk showing reinforcing plate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Horn mounted under saddlebag. This was simple, as the mount bolt for the muffler was right there. Bolt was even long enough for addition of the bracket.I used a piece of 1/8" x 3/4" x 2" steel bar with 2 holes drilled on 1 1/4" center.

I do have a slight concern with the hose melting in extreme heat conditions. I glued the horns in as they were just a slip fit. Time will tell if this location will hold up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Last pic. Side view.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Man, that looks good!

Any heat issues with those plastic horns being so close to the exhaust? Please provide followup via PM or email through my website.

Personally, I'd paint 'em. Flat black... maybe silver... I am a big fan of Krylon's hammer tone finishes for plastic. Check them out at Walmart.

Thanks for the pics...

I might route the tubing out of the tail trunk and behind the passenger seat, avoiding the saddlebags altogether. But there aren't any holes drilled here I couldn't fix if I had too.

Because I love to "light up" the cell phone yappers with my horn, this is a real solution for me.

I just love watching their heads snapping around to see who... who the hell is honking at me? Where's the semi-rig? WHAT? WHERE?

I especially like it when they drop their phones.

This gives me a perverted sense of self satisfaction. Ha, ha!

In their self absorbed confusion, I down-shift and pass...

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

With the horns low and forward facing, might you have a drinking problem in wet conditions. Seems like they'd sort of gobble water in that location.
Give an update in awhile.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Retired Guy wrote:
With the horns low and forward facing, might you have a drinking problem in wet conditions. Seems like they'd sort of gobble water in that location.
Give an update in awhile.
Ya, I had a set very much like them on my '77, way back in the late '70s. Mounted on right side below the Vetter fairing. I LOVED how people would look up (for that semi or train, maybe?) when I lit 'em up. Trouble is, we got caught in a locust storm on US 2 westbound,somewhere in North Dakota, and both horns filled up with nasty yellow locust guts...packed 'em right full. They never worked right after that...:(

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

As far as the heat issue, They are no closer to the exhaust than the ABS saddlebags and more out in the air.I am more concerned with the polyurethane supply line being directly over the exhaust. If they melt offI will replace a section with soft copper.

Yes they will be painted.

As far as whether they will fill up with water. I guess I'll find out, AndI will let you know.

Now if there was just some way to get the water out outthem. You know like if there would be some way to blow air through them . HHHMMMM...

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

For the bugs, maybe gluing a piece of nylon sreen door material over the bell.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I have some of the same horns on mine but didn't want to take the chance of them filling with water by mounting under the saddlebags so I mounted them pointing down toward the ground on the front faring. One on each side. Then I mounted the compressor behind the lock pocket on the right side of the faring. Pretty tight fit but works really well and they are really loud. Painted them with that krylon chrome paint. Not real good but better than the red trumpets.

Here's a picture: http://lloyddotson.com/goldwing.html

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I have these on my '83. Definitely gets attention. I put the compressors in the faux tank. Saved me grief on more than one occasion.

You know what's really fun? See a bicyclist going the same direction as you, pull in the clutch and coast up behind him and give him a blast of the horns and watch the fun!! (Not really, but my friends think I would do it.:action:)

The horns are worth the money. That and headlight and tailight modulators and extra driving lights.

Hobie

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.