Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

As the new owner of a '97 Aspencade. I've made two weekend runs on the bikeadding 1200miles to the odometer.

On the first 500 mile weekend the seat was pure torture after an hour of riding. For this past 700 mile weekend, I added a sheepskin to the stock seat, and this allowed me to endure another hour or so on the bike, but it was far from comfortable.

The problem seems to be that the foam in the seat compresses & it's like you are sitting on two bricks after a few miles.

Anybody having the same problem? Is that Road Sofa seat I see advertised a big improvement? All recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.....-Rich

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

I think your biggest problem is the seat is too soft which allows a bunch of the fabric and material to bunch up and push on your assets where it shouldn't be which always causes you to be uncomfortable.

A firmer seat will allow you to sit more comfortably.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

On my 1100 I switched to a Saddlemen (wider) seat and then added a thin sealed foam pad on top of that. Much more comfortable. I have never used the Road Sofa but I have heard it to be very comfortable. also.

Ride Safe

:action:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I'm looking at the Gel Seat options now. $700 for a Sofa is not in the budget right now..........

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

If you just started riding,you do have to build yourself (butt) up to the long rides no matter what seat you have,no on ever started out with an ironbutt....soft is not better, a hard seat is firm and will help you better.

I just heard a trick a guys who is 66 years young and just lives for the 700 to 800 miles a day trips.
When he gets to hurten he pulls out a thick auto trader mag. and folds it in half long ways and slides it under his crack and rides on.......he swears by it....

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
If you just started riding,you do have to build yourself (butt) up to the long rides no matter what seat you have,no on ever started out with an ironbutt....soft is not better, a hard seat is firm and will help you better.
I've been riding my2003 Nomad for 2 years with 350 mile days w/o any problems. Also I'm a long haul trucker & 550 miles isnot uncomon for a day's drive. So my (butt) is used to my weight. The problem is with the bike's seat & not mine..

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I bought my Road Sofa off ebay. Brand new, I believe it was a factory second, but it was only $225 or so. The person had a whole bunch of them from time to time. I'd do it again for sure...

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
I bought my Road Sofa off ebay. Brand new, I believe it was a factory second, but it was only $225 or so. The person had a whole bunch of them from time to time. I'd do it again for sure...
Do you have a link for the seller?

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I use a beaded seat cushion and it is inexpensive and good for the fuel run. Time to fill up, time to stretch. No problems.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

One of the problems I have encountered with long days in the saddle (especially in the summer) is that my ******-titey's were sticking to my assets. The bride found some ******-titey's for atheletes that wick the moisture away from your assets that also seem to extend the comfort time in the saddle. Not advertising (and no affiliation) for anyone, but Sierra Trading Post is one of the places I have found them for a reasonable price...there are many others I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Beaded seat cushion also allows for good airflow to the nether regions. Not to mention my arss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.