Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have trouble getting my bike to start when it is cold. It doesn't happen all the time, probably 5-10 times in the last year. I found out through trial and error that choking it makes it harder to start. Matter of fact, at this point, I'm not even sure it will start if I choke it, but once it turns over, I apply the choke until it warms up.

When it gets in this stubborn stage I can sometimes spray a bit of starter fluid down the throat after removing the air cleaner and it will start up.

Other times I have tried this off and on and it has taken 10 days of cranking and backfiring before I can get it going. Once I get it going it runs great and it will usually start up no problem for a while, until it starts its fits again.

It has never kept a charge that great somaybe that has something to do with that.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks...Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

sockeye342 wrote:
I have trouble getting my bike to start when it is cold. It doesn't happen all the time, probably 5-10 times in the last year. I found out through trial and error that choking it makes it harder to start. Matter of fact, at this point, I'm not even sure it will start if I choke it, but once it turns over, I apply the choke until it warms up.

When it gets in this stubborn stage I can sometimes spray a bit of starter fluid down the throat after removing the air cleaner and it will start up.

Other times I have tried this off and on and it has taken 10 days of cranking and backfiring before I can get it going. Once I get it going it runs great and it will usually start up no problem for a while, until it starts its fits again.

It has never kept a charge that great somaybe that has something to do with that.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Jeff, you are going to need to go through ALL your systems one at a time until you find the problem..

Start by testing both ign coil's supply voltage during cold cranking.. If low look for ign switch resistance, a low battery, orcorroded connections, or high resistance in the ign fuse..

If the coil voltage is good then make sure your spark plugs are not causing the problem & be sure you are getting a nice SNAPPY bluish colored spark during cold cranking.

If all OK there make sure your carb slides aren't sticking in the up position & that your carbs are not flooding after shut-down..

As a test, try shutting the tank petcock off & allowing the carbs to run out of fuel to shut the engine down. If that helps suspect a carb leakage problem..

If you suspect a low battery or that the battery isn't holding it's charge try placing a battery charger on it the night before starting it.. If that helps, have the battery tested & run a charging system test..

Not being able to use the choke at cranking can tell you that your carbs are flooding OR you just don't have enough spark to fire off a wet cold mixture & the plugs are quickly fuel fouling..

Maybe check the secondary ignition resistance from 1# cylinder plug wire all the way through to the #2 plug wire on the other side,, then do the same on the 3# plug wire clear back through the #4 plug wire on the other side..

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sockeye342 wrote:
I got her going by replacing the spark plugs.

Thanks twisty
I don't think that's going to do it for long Jeff, keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

sockeye342 wrote:
I got her going by replacing the spark plugs.

Thanks twisty
You're welcome Sockeye, run it a while & see how it starts.. If it acts up again you might want to see what the igncoil(s) supply voltage is during starting (cranking),, if low, you might have a battery going south or an ign switch with high resistance in it.. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the secondary resistance in the coil & plug wires also.. If the plug wires are getting old you couldhave an impending problem there..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the info. One of the spark plugs was in pretty sad shape (back left), so I think there might be some carb problems too...lots to do when I get a chance.

Another question for you: I just found out I have a bad thermoswitch. Looks to me like I will have to remove the radiator to get at it. Any suggestions on this one

Thanks twisty

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

No need to remove the radiator.. Just drain the cooling system, pull the lower hose off and you can swing the radiator out enough from the bottome to reach the switch.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hey Renegade-

Looks like you have the same color Aspencade as I do. Any chance you have a spare left saddlebag lid? Mine is toast and I have been trying to get one on ebay of the same color for months with no luck.

Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Sorry Sockeye342,,, No extra saddle bag parts...

How bad is yours?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Went flying off one day when I forgot to latch it...a car ran it over :(

Now its held together with duct tape until I can find a new one

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Your best bet is probably E-Bay, or Yahoo Auctions.. Also, try the Cycle Trader. When you do find one, it will probably need to be painted. Good luck and let us know when you score... Renegade

·
Registered
462 Posts
imported post

sockeye342 wrote:
Went flying off one day when I forgot to latch it...a car ran it over :(

Now its held together with duct tape until I can find a new one
That sucks..I make it a point to be sure mine are locked before any ride.Good luck with the search for another.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Renegade wrote:
No need to remove the radiator.. Just drain the cooling system, pull the lower hose off and you can swing the radiator out enough from the bottome to reach the switch.
Hey Renegade:

Thanks...putting in the switch worked like a charm!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.