Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have an 88 Goldwing 1500 & the alternator has died, I cannot find the Hitachi LR140-707 anywhere short of buying from the dealer. If anyone knows of a replacement or where to find one , I would love to hear from you

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
285 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

I second the motion for the Compu-Fire. Mine didn't go out, but 40amp output (stock) versus 90amp output(Compu-Fire) for a couple hundred more was a no-brainer, especially if you run extra goodies!! I got the alternator and AGM battery from www.wingstuff.com

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I third the compu fire alt, you get alot more power for the money. You might want to get the alt and battery deal.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The Compufire is a nice thought, but several of the vendors (e.g.: http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=273&categoryID=93) specifically state that the compufire will not fit the 1988 GL1500.

So -- back to the original post, and without offering much research on the stated incompatibility of the 1988/Compufire combo...

bd88don, I do understand that the OEM alternator for the 88 is getting tough to find. There is a shop that has great recommendations as a re-builder and can quickly work a compatible exchange as well as offer some insight for parts substitution to offer a few more charging amps. Ken Heming,

[email protected] (http://mysite.verizon.net/resp3jbj/), should be able to not only offer you some real insight on the limitations of the '88, but also some real solutions. He should be able to sell you the alternator as well. Ken sells both new and rebuilt/restored for the '88...

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see why the '88 doesn't like the CompuFire - though I understand that the mounting method for the '88 uses shouldered bolts to ensure proper centering of the alternator on the drive -- Later years replace the shouldered bolts with centering dowels. You 'could' re-drill the alternator, or change the shouldered bolts out for something NOT shouldered, but then, would you truly be driving center-line to center-line ??

Good luck, and hang on for the ride.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

have you tried fleabay. i saw a couple on it the other day will looking for goldwing stuff? seems they where around 99 bucks.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
imported post

I just replaced mine on a 88. I did drill out the 2 opposing holes to a letter drill size that the shouldered bolts would fit snug. If planning ahead you could order the 2 guide spacers and bolts from Honda. I did loosen and retorque it after running which seemed to help some noises. 88-89 must have used the special bolts.

I used this product and they have a 40 or90 Amp version also.

http://search.waiglobal.com/partnum.aspx?part=1-2494-01HI-1

(Hope the link works, I had to edit it 3x) Waiglobal/ search powersports/motorcycles

90 Amp for me. Was on sale and free shipping, no core return.

·
Registered
64 Posts
imported post

OldNewbie wrote:
I just replaced mine on a 88. I did drill out the 2 opposing holes to a letter drill size that the shouldered bolts would fit snug. If planning ahead you could order the 2 guide spacers and bolts from Honda. I did loosen and retorque it after running which seemed to help some noises. 88-89 must have used the special bolts.

I used this product and they have a 40 or90 Amp version also.

http://search.waiglobal.com/partnum.aspx?part=1-2494-01HI-1

(Hope the link works, I had to edit it 3x) Waiglobal/ search powersports/motorcycles

90 Amp for me. Was on sale and free shipping, no core return.

The link worked fine but I didn't see a price on it. Do you know where I can get some good step by step instructions on how to replace the alternator?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
imported post

Fraid it's a must call for price store and may need an account setup unless there is a vender/resller handy.

Replacing is easy except for the pigtail lead that is attatched at a connector holder under the tupperware.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

can you not just have yours rebuilt and beefed up for more amps i'm sure most rebuild shops can bump it up in amp output several notches? i'm with phatty of 2 if it ain't broke don't fix it but then go big. cheaperand you know what you got and it fits with no problems.:shock::action:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.