Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've got a great bike!!! I've had it for 2 years ( a long absence of bike riding after my kids came along ) But recently Ive noticed that when I ride for a while and shut the bike off it is hard to start untill it cools off. It acts as if the battery is low, I've changed the battery but it is still doing it . Is the starter dragging, coil going bad ?????

Please help

Thanks jdot84.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

.. the best guess is that the starter has to be removed, cleaned, New brushes (its a '84??? )  and all the grounds cleaned at least... Some folk add a braided ground strap to the 1200 starter cap, cuz the ground on some is rather poor./forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif. Total job is maybe 3 hours, the second time ... LOL  SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Hi jdot, I had a 1200 brought to me yesterday with the same problem it had had a new battery fitted recently and a new rectifier so the owner thought it might have a lazy starter, the first thing i did was put a volt meter across the battery to determine if the bike was charging the volt meter only showed a reading of 11.5 volts this is insufficient it to keep the battery charged so after riding the bike the battery voltage would be too low to crank the engine over however after leaving the bike to cool down it would start again this was because it was a new battery and it would regenerate itself a certain amount just sitting there. Having investigated further i am sattisfied the alternator is the problem so i am going to take the engine out this week to replace it. I would sugest that you first determine if your battery is ok and whether the bike is charging or not if u find it is putting out approx 13.5 volts its ok and the problem is then with the starter the starter solenoid switch or the main starter cable, hope this info is of some help to you regards Dermot.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

jdot84 wrote:
I've got a great bike!!! I've had it for 2 years ( a long absence of bike riding after my kids came along ) But recently Ive noticed that when I ride for a while and shut the bike off it is hard to start untill it cools off. It acts as if the battery is low, I've changed the battery but it is still doing it . Is the starter dragging, coil going bad ?????

Please help

Thanks jdot84.
Jdot84, it could be a weak starter, low battery, poor grounds, poor cable connections, an ign timing problem, or???..

Probably the place to start is to try cranking it while hot with the kill switch turned off..If it then cranks over easy you have an ign timing problem..

If it stillcranks over hard with the kill switch turned off, place a voltmeter across the battery posts & see what the battery voltage is during cranking.. If below 10 volts try jumping off a good battery or placing a battery charger on it while cranking hot. If that helps MAKE SURE your charging system is functioning properly.. A new battery will rejuvenate itself while sitting for a while so you could just have a low battery..

If nothing found so far check BOTH battery cables for GOOD CLEAN connections on both ends, maybe even try jumping (by-passing) the starter relay to see if that helps..

If still nothing outstanding found you will probably have to pull the starter out & take it apart for inspection.. In a lot of cases the starterbrush plate will have a lot of resistance in the rivets & cause a problem like you have.. Resistance in that starter brush plate is a fairly common issueon some of the older 1200 Wings..

It looks like you have an 84 Wing, if so, be sure to NOT pull that starter without first leaning that bike WAY OVER to the left by placing both tires on 2X4's then leaning over on the side stand.. If the bike isn't leaned over far enough the starter gear & chain will fall into the engine cavity (be careful on this)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info. My bike is an 85 1200I. Sorry about not giving more info on the bike. I'm new to the forum and kind of computer illiterate, but I plan to be here a lot to talk about WINGS. They are great bikes!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.