Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It probably has no bearing here, but it's an '87 Interstate.

Never before has a trip done this to the bike. Normally a good wash and it's like we never left. This time the turn signals stopped self cancelling in the rain, the cruise control started being real sluggish about keeping the speed going up hills, the right speaker got wet and is ruined, the high-beam indicator light blew out, the speedo wasvery optimistic and...I've found hail damage on the belt covers, radiator fins and windshield.

Also the bike went way out of sync as we went out of the driveway. Just its way of letting me know it is in control, I suppose.

The trip was only 2 weeks and 3,800 miles. That's really not unusual for us. We hung out in Washington for a week and rode through a lot of rain. That's not that unusual either.

So, for my questions. The turn signals: What could get wet and mess up the self cancel? I reckon I canput some sillycone on all the connections but I'd rather do a better job.

Speakers: Are the J&M 9000 speakers worth the money? I've gone through a lot of speakers on that bike. All of them budget priced, but they lasted as long as the Honda speakers did.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well as far as i know just coat the speakers in camp dry it will help make them more water resistant. but not water proof.

as far as the connectors for self canceling turns i wouldnt have a clue how they work on a goldwing like yours on the hd's like my dad has there is a mercury or substance like that, that makes them self canceling

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I know on my 85 LTD there are switches galore for the cancellation. One is on the tree itself that feels the turn there are 2 (One for each side I suppose) relays for the courtesy lights, there's another one that feels acceleration..

Nothing I have gotten into yet because mine are working but if they ever fail, it would be tough to trace out.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Dennis I would think water has gottin in to your triple tree there are three plug in connectors up in there may be corroded also self cancelling is hooked up to your speed sensor if you are having trouble with cruse control they may be related just my 2 cents . Hal

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

At least Bike got you home.

Cruise sluggish, speedo "optimistic"???, and cancellation are all related to the speed sensor....

Have your problems gone away now that bike is dried out?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys...

Yes there is a speed sensor in the speedo and I had messed with it just before the trip. (I think) The signals were cancelling fine before the rain, so I think moisture in the tree must be to blame...I think...maybe...hell, I don't know!

Aftermarket cruise control runs off the tach, but the brain/actuator looks likeit had gotten pretty wet. Maybe it just needs some time to dry out.

Anybody know about those J&M speakers?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
she is begging to be retired, parted out and rest in peace :(
No way ! but he could roll her into his living room and let her stay warm by the fire :smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
she is begging to be retired, parted out and rest in peace :(
At only 266,000 miles? Surely you jest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.