Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

Has anybody read this article? I have been interested in trying out a Harley-Davison Sportsters 1200, but after reading this I just felt it wasn’t even worth the risk. I have rode Honda’s and Kawasaki’s for most of my life. I love Honda’s reliability and I can’t get enough of Kawasaki’s well-made fast sports bikes. I had an itch to try the Sportsters because I liked the sound and style of the bike. I have never owned a Harley and can only remember them from the AMF days. Has anybody owned the most recent, rubber-engine-mounted fuel injected 1200 custom Sportsters? I would be real interested in your opinions on this bike. I am not into Harley bashing because I believe all bike have something good and bad to offer. I am more interested in whether this bike is a solid safe ride and if it has enough juice to get up and go. Also if you can explain what were the maintenance issues for a newer 1200 Sportsters Model?
Thanks
Future Pirate??
:cool:

EBay Item No. 370683598738

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,663 Posts
I like the look of the Harleys, but I doubt that I will ever buy one.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
If I was going to get one it would be the 1200 Sportster, but they must be gold plated because I can't seem to afford what people are asking for a used 1200.

·
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ
2,634 Posts
I voted no for a 2012, BUT, this spring I did buy a '98 1200 Sportster Custom. The guy was making a "bobber" out of it but hurt his back and couldn't finish it. $3000 for it, had less than 7000 miles on it.

I redid it and this is what it looks like now.

What a blast to ride.
I get alot of waves and thumbs up from bikers and cagers alike.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Among the Pirate Crowd, it's the "Girlster". I think it has a pouch where you can place your manhood while you ride it.

Do they give you a good deal on a Toyota Yaris at time of purchase?

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
All that info in the blog is already well known, he isn't posting anything new. I say go for it if you really want it. Regular servicing and inspection should keep your Harley in good order.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
A buddy has a '96 1200 Sportster. He'd never have a problem with it if he'd just stop crashing the **** thing. Never leaks any oil. Never has any electrical problems. Habdles great rides smooth.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
I voted no with an H. Having had Sportsters in the past they have always stranded me. I maintain my Motorcycles, I care for them, I check that they are road worthy and they still stranded me. Parts break for no apparent reason. (that was VERY frustrating) I will say one positive thing about them, I did not lose any money when I sold them.
There are a lot of used ones out there, stay used and you should get a great deal.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Years ago, I took my father-in-laws Sportster to the harley dealer to get a new tire put on it. He didnt have the time to do it, so I offered. The ride was only about 20 mi. That was the worst ride I ever had, barring the incident of an Indian with no brakes, going down a hill filled with trees and an abrupt ditch at the bottom ( I am CERTAIN that would have been a youtube sensation if camera phones were around then). The vibration made my hands and feet completely numb by the time I pulled into the dealer lot. I could hardly walk it was so bad. I am certain they are better now, as riding his Electra-glide later proved to illustrate. but that ride ruined my taste for harleys. It did not matter what speed or rpm I ran. The vibration was constant, and horrible.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Harley is a trend, love it or hate it. I wanted one so I bought one. I still have my Goldie (2000SE) and will not trade it in but keep it until I ride in to the final sunset. My "Harley" is not really a Harley at all and have 100% American made parts on it. It is a blast to ride, the chicks dig it, and it serves the purpose I wanted from it; fun, fun, fun. If you want one, get one ! If you then decide it is not for you, sell it ! Simple really.... Here is my "Harley";

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
An ex co-worker bought two new in 09,(1200 Customs), one for himself and one for the wife. She rolled up twice the miles he did. They went on several 4-5 day trips and no problems. It just doesn't have the greatest comfort for all-day travel. They up-traded to a pair of Heritage somethings in 2011. No Harley bashing here, just not a lot of experience with the brand...

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
I voted heck no. Sportsters shake like a dog pooping razor blades. I WOULD have a Ultra or Street Glide. 2008 or newer. I would get a Kawasaki vulcan long before a sportster.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
at 6'4" tall and a biscuit under 300 pounds, I don't think a sportster would work for me at all. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I had a rigid 1200 Sportie and enjoyed it for short hops. It had vibration but nothing that caused me any problems. I guess everyone has their own tolerance level.

The big problem was range. After riding for an hour and a half I was looking for a gas station. I tried a Goldwing and got hooked on actually going somewhere.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Sportster? Hmmm..

Sounds like LUNCH!

:wink:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I have to admit I have a sneaky enjoyment of Sportster 883s. At least the stock ones because a Silverwing Scooter can out run them. Top speed 112mph and just a shade under 15 seconds in the quarter mile. A Sportster 883R has a 15.63 seconds and a 883 Standard comes in about the same as the Silverwing 14.7 seconds. I enjoy Sportsters because I've beat a couple at stoplight drags and passed on on the highway that was trying to keep me from doing it. Of course a HD 1200 or even a modified 883 would kick the butt of my SW but they should since the have a much larger engine anyway.
Gotta say though that Sportster in the top of the thread is a good looking bike. I never did like those big skinny front tires, the one in the picture looks like old school with nice fat tires on both ends.

·
Texting Survivor "Barely"
107 Posts
Voted Hell no
Why would anyone go from the "BEST" to below average
Like having a Rolls Royce then getting a Lada just because others think a Lada makes you cool....LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.