Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a set of RK mufflers for $18US :D

I did see Axelwik's posts about fitting Sportster pipes on an early GL, but I am wondering if some out there have put the Road King model on an early GL. Will I also need the shims for the header > muffler connection or is there something I could purchase to make up the difference? An adapter, etc?

Also, those who have put these on early GLs, do you have a problem with the centerstand? Do you think making that "S" pipe is necessary for the RK pipes or is that strictly for Sportster models?

Thanks, lots of questions..

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

If those pipes go straight back, you'd probably need the S-bend to raise them a bit and move them out from the centerline of the headers.

Making the S-bends is real easy, and any good muffler shop can do it. They can also size the ends of the S-bends so you won't need any shims.

The best way to do it is to take the headers off your bike and bring them, with the Harley mufflers, to the muffler shop. I asked for a 2-inch offset with an overall length of 10 to 12 inches.

When mounting them on the bike, leave the header-to-S-bend clamp a little loose and rotate the S-bend and muffler until the top of the muffler center-lineis just outboard and almost touching the axle.

Without the S-bend, my centerstand hung far too low and was scraping far too much.

You'll also need to support the weight of the muffler by making a bracket that goes fromany existing muffler mounting bracket or flange (part of the Harley muffler)to the passenger footpeg bolt. I went to the hardware store and bought some galvanized metal about an inch wide by 3/16" thick, and cut and drilled to fit.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Don't forget to balance the carbs after doing this.

Also might want to check the color of your spark plugs after the first ride. Ifthe color is too lightit might be running too lean... something that might happen with less backpressure/higher-flow exhaust. It's pretty easy to re-jet this bike.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

so I guess I can take my road king mufflers (see avatar) and put on my 1000.... now if I could get my 1000 to have as great of a foot placement as my HD I would really be happy

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Your avatar is pretty hard to see... if the mufflers are both the same length it shouldn't be a problem. It's pretty much a matter of figuring out the plumbing for your situation.

I prefer the foot placement on the GL1000 vs. most Harleys. In my opinion the footpegs are far too far forward onmost Harleys, and most of your body weight ends up onthe tailbone. Of course you might feel more comfortable with the Harley stance since you're used to it. For really long trips, however, I think the Goldwing placement is superior... after all, it isa touring bike. I feel awkward anda bit less in control sitting on a Harley with the footpegs forward.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Seating position on the Goldwing is kinda old fashioned but comfortable for me. It doesn't seem much different than the old English bikes or any of the early Japanese machines. Pretty much all streetbikes seemed to be pretty much the same until the jockey position appeared on sport bikes. I find the HD and Cruiser seating a little too laid back for me and somewhat insecure in wind and buffeting from semis.Not too hot in the rain either. But then everyone to their own. I like all bikes, scooters, mopeds, bicycles and unicycles, some more than others.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The sit up 'n beg position has been around since the stone age of biking. Yung riders hate that position, but as they get older they start to sit more upright. Thats the thing about maturing. :p:p

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

what I have found is that the knees are a little too bent on the wing, whereas the harley is a more relaxed sitting position... having said that you cannot lift your rear off the seat going over a bump on the harley like you can on the wing

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.