Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well - I had a rusted out exhaust on a 1980 GL1100. Since I am on a budget, I decided to do the HD muffler route. I got a pair of '05 sportster muffs on ebay for $29.95 + shipping. I had planned on just connecting the mufflers to the header with a 1.75" connector. Not so easy. The header pipe on the GL1100 is almost square just ahead of where it is welded to the beginning of the trumpet shaped muffler. No just cutting of the muffler at the weld and slipping on a pipe. Since I wanted to minimize welding, I had to decide what to do.

Well, since the exhaust was rusted outanyway, I decided to do some exploratory surgery with a saw-zall. I first cut the right side muffler right in the middle behind the hanger. There is a baffle and a 1.75" pipe running up the middle. Interesting but no help. Next I cut the pipe right behind the crossover. Ah-Ha! There is a 1.75 pipe running inside the chrome muffler !! I next took a die grinder and cut the chrome outer shell off all the way aroundabout 1" behind the weld where the muffler meets the header. Be careful to just cut through just the chrome outer pipe, and not the inner pipe. I went a little deeper than I should have in a couple spots. I will run a welder bead around to repair the joint. Note: I also cut the tabs holding the chrome heat shields onto the header pipe. I was careful not to damage them because I will tack weld them back on. I'm going to bead blast and paint theheader pipessince they are so rusty.

Once the chrome outer was off I now had a 10" long 1.75" roundpipe behind the header I can cut to desired length to connect my HD mufflers to !!! I can choose the position I like for the HD muffs and just conntect them to the header with an adapter.

And Ithought I would need to get a muffler shop to bend me up a connector!!Iplan tomake up my own 6" long 1.75" stub adapterwith one end slightly expanded to slip over the header pipe, and the other end will slip into the HD muffs. Of course I still have to make up hangers and remount the center stand bumper, but heckI've got all winter!!!!

Here is the left side stock pipe cut off just behind the crossover and the chrome outer removed:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Here is the header on and the HD pipes so you get an idea of how easy it will be now to connect them since the round pipe is there as a header extension !!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I went ahead and moved this over to Tech because it's something that people come to the Tech forum looking for regularly.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Here are both header pipes with the chrome outers removed with a die grinder:

Right one:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

And left one:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks MD ! I just thought I'd share this tip. I almost cut mine of at the weld, but then discovered this, which will make the replacement muffler installation that much easier !!

Is there a way to put more than one photo in the same post?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

mdbauer1962 wrote:
Is there a way to put more than one photo in the same post?
If you host the photos on a site like PhotoBucket you can use the IMG tags they provide to put more than one pic in a single post.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

mdbauer1962 wrote:
Here is the header on and the HD pipes so you get an idea of how easy it will be now to connect them since the round pipe is there as a header extension !!!
You had mentioned something about your center stand, did you have to alter anything in that area ??

Winger 82:11brown:

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Haven't got too much furthersince the pics. Getting ready to host the family for Turkey Day. Gotta keep the honey happy :)

I will post more pics as I progress. I did get out an buy an exhaustpipe expander at Harbor Freight so I can make up my own adapters from 1.75" O.D. exhaust pipe. I bought a2' piece of 1.75 OD tubing from Advance Auto that I can cut to length

When I get it all fitted and hangers in, and the crossover pipe made up, I will go back and weld everything together. I cut the old hanger brackets off of my old pipes in case i want to weld them on and use the original pipe hangers, but I may try to make up brackets that use the harley mounting bosses. But, I hate to weld on the new mufflers.....not sure which direction to go.

Invested so far:

Mufflers: $40 ($29.99 + 10.00 shipping)

24" Exhaust Tubing: $6.99

Tubing Expander:$12.99

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I too went the harley route on my 77 but because the header is separate from the muffler, it's an easier fix in some ways. Still had to make up a cross over pipe and weld hanger tabs onto rear of frame.

With respect to the centre stand. I just welded a stopper directly onto the frame so that it would only go up so far.
You have to put the bike on the side stand and then with your mufflers on locate the point just before the centre stand contacts the muffler. Hold a small diameter piece of pipe or steel or anything that can be welded in the area you want to put it. Move the stand up to make sure it clears the mufflers and once you are happy with the stopper location, tack it in place. Retry stand and if OK weld away.

I did this to mine and it works well, doesn't vibrate or make any noise.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

mdbauer,

What does it sound like? Does it sound like a Harly Now, or just a loduer Goldwing?

Thanks,

Nightrider1

mdbauer1962 wrote:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I'm sure that mdbauer will answer you but in the meantime I'll give you my comments.

They are considerably louder and I found them too loud with a following wind. I also found that the right side seemed to flow more exhaust then the left. Go figure. With a view of making it a little bit quieter, I welded 5" extensions with a slightly smaller inside diameter onto the end of the muffler. This made a big difference in loudness and exhaust gas is more equal out of both sides.

Bike now has a nice deep tone and not hard on the ears. No it doesn't sound like a Harley but it certainly sounds more like the boxer engine that it is.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Do you really need a crossover tube in the exaust system?
Bike mechanic here told me he has welded caps over tube ports
with no ill effects or rejetting.My crossover is leaking so
i have to find gasket material or close it off.Wondering what i should do.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I'm going to be benched here a little while. I took a fall on some stairs and broke my collarbone a couple days ago. Doc says no liftingfor a few weeks so the muffler projects on hold.

Before the boneheaded fall, I put my vetter hard bags on, and found out that I will have to do some more work than I planned to make the mufflers clear the bags. If I use the stub pipe behind the header, and put on a straight extension, it will not clear the bags. This solution would work well on a naked wing, but not a bagger. I will need a bend and have to move the mufflers back about 4-5" further than I planned. I am working on a hanger design, and have to consider the center stand stop as mentioned by cycleman. I will photo document what I come up with. I am pretty picky and want this done right so it will be strong.

I am planning on using the crossover. I have seen several do it and since Mother Honda thought it was needed, who am I to argue? I found some 1.32" diameter lead plumbing pipe that fits very snugly into the crossover ports on the HD mufflers, and plan to use high-temp sealer and stainless screws to secure it in place. I am adding a closeup provided to me by dingdong, an active member on the forum. He provided me withsome really good tips and closeup photosof his installation. He did not need to rejet his '76 and said he has run the HD mufflers for several years trouble free. Tom's neat and professional looking intallation inspired me to do mine with HD pipes with crossovers. Hope your OK with me showing your photo.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.