Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

a friend of mine asked me to change his oil on his 883. anyone around with harley experience. whats the proper way to check the oil level?, with the bike on the side stand? or with the bike 90º to the ground?. im started to think i screwed up. i drained the oil with the bike 90º to the ground and filled 3 litters as my friend told me. when i was going to clean the used oil pan i started to fill the old oil on the empty oil bottles. and only 1.5 litters came out of the bike. when checking the oil level on the side stand im getting 3/4 reading. but with the bike 90º to the ground the oil level is way too high.

i also changed the oil filter

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Here's another link:

http://hdforums.com/forum/oil-and-oil-related-topics/69374-newbie-diy-sportster-oil-change.html

#1 Nothing is standard for all models
#2 Sportster has 2 cavaties with oil. engine is one and then trans/primary is the other. Use 20w50 in the engine and 75w90 gear lube in the trans/primary. Use motorcycle rated oil. HD360 engine and maybe Bel-Ray in the trans/primary, I doubt that I would use synthetics in a 1994 bike that has probably had dino oil all it's life.
#3 Wait until you get your manual. Keep the oil level between the 2 marks and check when hot with the bike on the stand. Give the bike 3-4 minutes after you shut it off to let the oil drain back into the tank before you check it.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

sorry it is a 06 883 sportster i've been googling with no luck. i found a step by step guide but does not tell if with the bike on the side stand or not

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:Well do not worry about the missing oil. That is pretty normal for a Harley.:D If you are a little over full you are just ahead of the game, just wait a day or two and it will be about right.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

3 liters is too much oil. Most likely what he meant was 3 quarts. Which would be about 2.5 liters.

Proper oil fill level is checked with the bike in the upright position. A way to judge it on the jiffy stand is about halfway between the low and the fill mark should show it full in the upright postion. But yes proper level checked at the upright postion.

Kit

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Re fill with the bike strait up in the air. Your dip stick has a lower lever & an upper level. They should be around 2 1/2 inches apart. I run mine with the oil level 3/4 up between the two lines.

primary oil level is just below the round cover on the left side of the bike. You access the oil by removing that round cover.

The tranny oil has a dip stick as well. On the right side of the bike where the clutch cable goes into a chrome unit you will see an allan key hole in a round chrome plug. you un screw the plug & the dip stick is attached to it.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

i did not removed the oil filler cap while i was draining the oil, i let the bike drain for about one and a half hours. do you think that would have let oil remain the oil tank?.

to check the oil level, do you screw the filler cap? or you just seat it on the two tabs like on our wings?

MY BAD:.. I ADDED 3 QUARTERS... had to go read the labels. i thought were 1 litter bottles.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Normally, any screw in oil stick gets checked by just sitting it in the hole, not threading it in. I am not sure with yours. The tank is a resovoir to store & cool the oil so you dont run the risk of blowing an oil gasket like you would with oil in the crank case but not enough oil will make the air cooled engine overheat much faster!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Here's another link:

http://hdforums.com/forum/oil-and-oil-related-topics/69374-newbie-diy-sportster-oil-change.html

#1 Nothing is standard for all models
#2 Sportster has 2 cavaties with oil. engine is one and then trans/primary is the other. Use 20w50 in the engine and 75w90 gear lube in the trans/primary. Use motorcycle rated oil. HD360 engine and maybe Bel-Ray in the trans/primary, I doubt that I would use synthetics in a 1994 bike that has probably had dino oil all it's life.
#3 Wait until you get your manual. Keep the oil level between the 2 marks and check when hot with the bike on the stand. Give the bike 3-4 minutes after you shut it off to let the oil drain back into the tank before you check it.
William: This link answered it for you, if you trust whomever wrote it.

Item #3. hot with the bike on the stand

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Is it true that a harley needs no oil change because you normally add a quart every week,thus the oil is always fresh?......:baffled:...............

......................:D

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Mine don't leak, is it empty:shock:??

dont forget the oil filter, Mine is under the bike, just forward of the rear tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.