Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On the news this morn,Harley plant to cut 1100 jobs in next 2 years,70%this year alone.Profits way down for the year.....sad news as economy is taking its toll in all areas of buisiness...

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
is that Layoffs or falloffs?
permanent layoffs....

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

It was on the news, in their last quarter, their profits were down 60%. You would think that they would realize that if they lowered the cost of the bikes the sales might recuperate.

Also with the economy being the way it is, bringing back the bikes in the 350 and 450 range at a basic no frills price might attract a lot of new buyers.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,, will they be asking for a bailout also???

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,, will they be asking for a bailout also???
Yep...

Harley-Davidson Seeking Federal Bank Bailout FundsPublish date: Jan 19, 2009
Email|Print|ShareDel.icio.usDiggRedditFacebook|Save|LicenseHarley–Davidson is hoping to have an answer Tuesday about whether the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. will designate the company as eligible for federal funding under a bank bailout program.

Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., has asked the agency to approve Harley’s request, ideally ahead of the company’s fourth-quarter earnings report due out Friday. H-D employs nearly 3,000 people at its plant in York County, Pa., and another 1,500 work at dealerships in the state.

H-D has asked that Harley-Davidson Credit Corp. and Eaglemark Savings Bank be declared eligible for the Temporary Liquidity Guarantee Program, or TLGP, which guarantees unsecured corporate debt against default. That would cover the bills of Harley-Davidson's internal financial entities if they were unable to pay bills themselves.

Casey told the York Dispatch that without the designation, “it puts their financing company in a much more precarious situation."

Four analysts — Goldman Sachs, Standard & Poor's, RBC and Raymond James — have downgraded Harley shares in as many weeks, and the company’s former HDFS president, Sy Naqvi, left the company early this month. H-D’s stock price has dropped from $80-plus per share in December 2006 to $13.70 today. (Financial markets are closed today in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.)

Against an industrywide slowdown, analysts expect Harley sales to be down 20 percent for the fourth quarter, and Raymond James analyst Joseph D. Hovorka said in a client note that sales among 55 dealers surveyed were "the softest reading ever for our survey." Sales are expected to slide another 20 percent to 30 percent this year as consumers cut purchases of luxury goods.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Maybe they should sell 4-wheelers and jet skis.

The latest in production diversification is scooters, Blasphemy.:whip:

If they do not get bailed out, I guess they can always go back overseas... like Honda.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I am sad.

Let me say that I like GW's and the wife is a HD fan. Probably would have bought a HD because of the wife, but here is my little story:

Went to the HD dealer, looked , liked, wife found a color she loved, test drove, sat down do to the numbers.

They made a generous offer of about $1500 over MSRP. I had done lots and lots of internet research and knew dealer cost.

Did my version of Howie Mandell Deal or No Deal, they were insulted and we left.

NO WAY will I give a HD Dealer almost 7K, that's right 7K in profit on an Ultra Classic.

I HOPE THEY GO BROKE AND PAD LOCK THE DOORS AT THE FACTORY. WHEN YOU RIP OFF YOUR CUSTOMERS, YOU CAN REAP THE REWARDS DOWN THE ROAD.

So now the wife is happy bee booping down the road sitting on the back of MY WING !!

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

I understand they're getting a backlog of repos from their easy finance dept.

Coupled with little home equity to borrow from - and, they work under the same UAW contracts - HD ain't looking too good.

I'm kinda fond of the 2009 Ultra - beefier frame/swingarm. Engine needs $7k though to get where it should be but it's still no GW...

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
imported post

kips wrote:
I am sad.

Let me say that I like GW's and the wife is a HD fan. Probably would have bought a HD because of the wife, but here is my little story:

Went to the HD dealer, looked , liked, wife found a color she loved, test drove, sat down do to the numbers.

They made a generous offer of about $1500 over MSRP. I had done lots and lots of internet research and knew dealer cost.

Did my version of Howie Mandell Deal or No Deal, they were insulted and we left.

NO WAY will I give a HD Dealer almost 7K, that's right 7K in profit on an Ultra Classic.

I HOPE THEY GO BROKE AND PAD LOCK THE DOORS AT THE FACTORY. WHEN YOU RIP OFF YOUR CUSTOMERS, YOU CAN REAP THE REWARDS DOWN THE ROAD.

So now the wife is happy bee booping down the road sitting on the back of MY WING !!
Sounds like a pretty bad dealership. I've ran into those types before. I'd seriously shop other dealers. I can't imagine dealers acting like that in these times. I have never, nor would ever pay over MSRP.

Before I bought the Gold Wing I stopped in the HD dealer in Stockton, CA to look at a sidecar for my '03 RoadGlide. Even though there were several sales people hanging around the floor doing nothing no one offered to help me. I looked around a bit and then approached a sales guy and asked if he could talk to me about a sidecar. He looked at me and turned around and walked away without saying a word! I guess I must not have fit the standard profile of an HD rider even thoough I had cash in hand and was ready to buy.

I've owned Harley's since 1976 and still have one in addition to my GL1500. Love the bikes but have never been a big fan of "The Motor Company" and a lot of dealers. I have had good experiences with some dealers though.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Well, you can laugh, guffaw, and make fun of HD all you like, but the fact is that if you are a line/mfg worker with a family to support, the loss of your job, with no prospects is not a very good way to start the year. Around here we have seen the GM truck plant close, the loss of the DHL Freight Hub, machine shop after machine shop closing, plants that support Honda, Toyota, and every one else on layoffs or short weeks, auto AND motorcycle dealers closing around the country, and the list goes on and on. Taking pleasure from other folks heartaches or hard times is hardly what I would call the American spirit. These are/were all hard working individuals who are/were trying to make a living and contribute to society with the purchases they make and the taxes they pay. They are not lounging around on welfare, food stamps, social security, or waiting for more free handouts they feel they "deserve". Now they may be forced to lower their standards and figgure out what to do, in order to keep a family fed. The average worker has little or no say in the direction a company takes. Look at the fat-cat auto workers flying to Washington in their nice comfy jet planes. What do you think auto workers thought of that??

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:

If they do not get bailed out, I guess they can always go back overseas... like Honda.
:? How does an American company go "back" overseas?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

chiefcherokee wrote:
Foosman(5) wrote:

:? How does an American company go "back" overseas?
The frames and electronics are made in Japan from what I understand. The softail models now have balenced motors and Hydrolic self adjusting valves, but I think theywere marketingit too late.Those models may last a little longer than the old ones, but I still don't see $17,000 and $18,000 worth of bike. When I go to motorcycle swap meets I tell other patch wearers Iride and likea goldwings. They laugh and say, "You must be the only one who gets to the runs with no breakdowns." This strikes me funny that the real bikers will actually admit the goldwing is a better bike.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Probably will get a bailout. Remember in the mid 80's?I think it lasted about 2-3 years. They had imported bikes taxed more in order to sale more US made bikes. My 85 Shadow 700 was about 697cc.It was a de-bored 750.Some refered to it as a "Tariff Bike".Anything over 750 and above got taxed more.The Japan bikes in the mid 80's was stomping a mudhole in Harley on sales due to Harley's price then.That's why Honda dropped 50cc. You could still get the 750 1985 Shadow but it was a Canadian version.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.