Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, this is my first post; I've seen a lot of good questions/discussions in the past on this forum so I figured what the hay!

My question is: Do any of you go to rallies for Harleys and such? The town I live in has one of the largest Harley dealers in Wisconsin & almost all the Poker Runs, Charity events etc. are Harley related with a LOT of bikes. I have thought about going to them but I'm concerned some SOB will push my bike over or "Key it" just because it's not a Harley.:X:X I know each place is different, just wanted your experience, thoughts.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Welcome Tandem54! You're in for a great ride here with some wonderful people, enjoying GoldWings from their computers during this long, dull winter.

I have the same concerns and questions as you. I have asked my local group members individually, and all indicate all are welcome. Yet, one or two smart***s, on their own, have given me a dose. After I get my Iron Butt cert this spring, I'm planning on inviting them on a nice, LONG ride with me, anytime they think they can handle it. I think I can endure longer rides on my wing than they can on their mixmasters!

Glad to have you on board!

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Welcome Tandem54, I have never found a reason to participate in any kind of "rides",except with a few friends.I do not need a reason to ride , there is the road ,there I go!
Besides I get real ill around too many posers and RUB's, always trying to one-up each other.
I always have a better time all by myself, a passenger or just a friend or two.
But I wouldn't be too afraid to go on one if I were you ,most folks that ride even harleys are good people,they don't want you messin' with their bikes either.
But if you have ever gotten with a group where you are made to feel unwelcome you will never forget it. Just don't go back! There are too many good ones out there and hopefully you will meet some here or check-out www.nakedgoldwings.com , great folks there too, you can find folks to ride with. ,,,,,,,,,,just remember 95% of all Harleys made are still on the road,,,,,,,,the other 5 % actually made it home!!!

Oh yeah , I do not own anything but this old 81 goldwing, no cars , I go many months at a time without even stepping into a car,you can't call me a poser,,,, I'm what you call a DEDICATED RIDER. My motorcycle ain't no toy just for the sunny sunday rides with the guys!

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
imported post

Haven't had a problem at events I go to be it a poker run based at the Harley shop or the field meet run by ABATE here.

No matter where you go there's always the chance of one a** that can cause problems.

Don't go with an attitude and you'll probably be allright.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

The only crap that I ever got from my Harley brothers is when I traded my H-D Electra-Glide for a Goldwing. As far as rides, rallies, events, etc., no problems. And that pretty much covers, Laconia, Myrtle, Daytona, Sturgis and the ROT.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Have taken both my Wing, and my Honda Shadow Sabre to Sturgis many times and never had a problem. Generally speaking, bikers don't mess with other folkss' bikes. You'll be fine. go, have a good time. Enjoy the experience.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Never had any problems with any of them in this area, and have done several rides with them. Bunch of nice folks for the most part.

John

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Hey Tandem, BIG WELCOME. Greatest Goldwing site around and tons of knowledge and advice. I did see a video of a big Harley Rally where they had a "Honda Bashing". They suspended this poor helpless Honda from a crane and repeatedly dropped it. The crowd cheered like they were watching football. terrible, terrible. That was at a club rally.

I wouldn't go to a biker club rally. If you went to a large city sponsored event you would probably be good to go. Just try and find some non Harley riders and park close to them. There are donkey holes everywhere you go, and especially when the booze gets thrown in the mix.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Welcome Tandem. I took a 1100 Shadow Sabre to the Borderriders rally in Ironton. Only one moron opened his mouth and I told him exactly where to put it. Noone touched my bike. This last year I took the goldwing you see in my pic to knucklefest in Palmyra. Noone even commented on the deed. I went to the motorcycle swap meet at the Waukesha Expo last month and told two other patch wearers who are completely loyal to Harley, I like and ride Goldwings, and they laughed and said you must be the only one who makes it to the runs without a breakdown. The point is the real bikers realize it's not what you ride, it's how you ride. The next time someone says to you, "Do think that Honda will get you home?" Look at him and say, "What do you think? It's a ballenced liquid cooled motor ya stupid f*cker.":cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the info, I think I'll go to one and just park next to the none Harleys like rocketman said. I guess you have to trust other bikers till they prove you wrong!

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Tandem, you'll find that if you treat a Harley rider with the exact same level of respect for him/her and his/her ride that you would want to receive from him/her, you generally don't have any issues.

Occasionally you'll find someone who will want to give you a little good natured ribbing about your "Jap Bike", but that's usually pretty rare too.

Occasionally, as with ANY group, not just Harley riders, you'll find the die-hard who will want to razz you out of meanness, or lack of understanding. You'll also find this cretin will have few buddies in the crowd, and will normally be told to shut his hole by those standing around who are more interested in riding and seeing a good cause benefit, than letting one jerk run off a potential rider.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

It's all about riding not the ride. :action:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Tandem, you'll find that if you treat a Harley rider with the exact same level of respect for him/her and his/her ride that you would want to receive from him/her, you generally don't have any issues.

Occasionally you'll find someone who will want to give you a little good natured ribbing about your "Jap Bike", but that's usually pretty rare too.

Occasionally, as with ANY group, not just Harley riders, you'll find the die-hard who will want to razz you out of meanness, or lack of understanding. You'll also find this cretin will have few buddies in the crowd, and will normally be told to shut his hole by those standing around who are more interested in riding and seeing a good cause benefit, than letting one jerk run off a potential rider.
This is exactly what I meant, only with a little more finess.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

The Harley riders I know don't mind Goldwings riding with them. I've just been told by them to NEVER call Harleys "bowling balls". :cheeky1:Remember when AMF owned Harley?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

Most of my riding is done with just me and the better half. We do go occasionally to a club here at home that is primarily Harley riders. (Ghost Riders) there has never been a problem with any of them but I do know several of them personally. When we had our 85 wing several even made comments that it was a good looking ride. One even showed me his Harley and said it was the closest thing to a goldwing he could get. But as stated anywhere you go you can find some one with an attitude. Oh sometimes I get the old when are you going to get you a real motorcycle I just ignore it or if I know they are just fooling around then I tell them us old men go for comfort and looks not sound and vibration. You know its kind of like going to my wife's Mother and Dad's I am the only one in the family that drives a Ford so I really catch more Hell from them then the Harley riders.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

If you want to break the ice just carry a small pan with you & place it under the bike. When asked what the pan is for just tell them if the bike leaks anything then you'll have some rice for lunch. Always good for a laugh.

Actually it's only the less than 1% jerk-off who causes problems, the rest are just glad you're a rider. Only thing I really watch for is if there's a group ride be real careful & leave lots of room since you have no idea what the skill level of the riders around you.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

We live less than 25 miles from a couple Harley dealers, and a large (90% Harley) Motorcycle Club. We go on poker runs with the MC all the time. They are self-paced, everybody doesn't go in a "wad". The Club serves breakfast and lunch, and riders go when they want, with whom they want - and follow the route markings.

We have also gone to charity benefits at the Harley shops, and had no problems. The only thing one might want to watch - is parking where the H-Ds usually park (they mark their territory). We get a condescending look once in a while from the paint-shaker crowd, but try not to laugh. :) To each his own.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Over the years I have been to all kinds of runs and get togethers where HD either sponsored them or certainly had good representation.(such as AMA poker runs) I have never had an unkind word said to me yet. Folks come over and look at my scoot, and I enjoy looking at theirs and passing a howdy or asking a question now and again. The local HD shop in Xenia,OH has a few "customer appreciation" weekends during the riding season where they have food and 10/20 % discounts on stuff. Always a good time and super well attended. Our Honda dealers around here have......oh wait a minute....they have ZERO for their customers. My mistake. Anyhow....just go and have fun..........that's what it's all about anyhow.....

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Why would I want to go to a Harley rally?...:shock:

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Went to a Goldwing rally once. It was ok, but kinda boring.
I'm not the rally sort. The wife and I just like to get out on
the road and ride for a few days at a time, or go M/C
camping around eastern Oregon or western Idaho.
That sort of thing.

We do enjoy riding with friends in small groups.

I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble at an HD rally,
unless you have an adversion to b.c. :cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.