Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

http://www.khou.com/news/Harley-to-recall-more-than-308000-motorcycles-132448358.html

DETROIT—Harley-Davidson is recalling about 308,000 motorcycles to fix a switch problem that can cause failure of the brake lights and possibly even the rear brakes themselves.

The company says in government documents that brake light switches can be exposed to too much heat from the exhaust system. The brake lights can fail, and the problem also can cause fluid leaks and the loss of rear brakes.

The problem affects Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles from the 2009 through 2012 model years.

Harley says it will notify owners of the recall. Dealers will install a rear brake light switch kit free of charge.

The recall affects about 251,000 motorcycles in the U.S. alone.

The company says it’s aware of only one crash from the problem.

It was unclear if anyone was hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I know, my mind is wierd, but that reminds me of something that happened about ten years back. I was driving back from a visit in Utah and saw a guy on a harley. He had a set of leather saddle bags, the right side bag had a column of fire coming out the back of it. It looked like the exhaust had caught it on fire. I tryed honking at the guy, just blaring the horn but he never responded. I gunned it and got up next to him on a passing lane and rolled down the window to wave and get his attention, he flipped me the bird and dumped the throttle. Nothing but a trail of smoke on the horizon.

So, we've already been through the lawsuit about the engine getting too hot, I wonder how long it will take for a lawsuit about hot exhaust pipes. You have to admit, it'll pretty funny to see the brand new hogs goin' down the road with a mountain of "caution hot" stickers on them.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

The only part of this that surprises me is that AP somehow tagged this as comming out of Detroit.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

I wonder how much that will cost them? 308,000 bikes at say a minimum of $10 each for parts and fitting costs. That's at least $3 million. Add to that all the letters that will have to be posted out to the customers, advertising in the media etc.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

A few million is a drop in the ocean to them Gaswing. HD are a huge company with interests in more than just motorcycles. They can afford to put this problem right.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

I'm curious to know if this has anything to do with the rash of bikes being rear ended lately. We've had three crashes in as many months reported here. In each case, one motorcycle hit another.
We have been putting it off as inexperienced riders. Perhaps there is more to it.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I wonder if the HD forums posted stuff like this when the Goldwing had frame problems.etc...etc...etc...etc...:?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.