Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anybody ever cut a windshield and installed a vent? Where do you buy a vent, and how did you cut the windshield?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

it doesn't seem to be something really hard to do. my windshield already came with a vent. but i've cutted some windshields using an electric Jig Saw, since you're starting from the center.. to get started you have to draw the hole you'll cut. then drill a hole and start cutting through the line previously made.

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

Have you tried a forum search? I seem to remember someone showing how to do that.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There are many different windshield vents available. Round ones at a Harley shop, or others at wingstuff, or chromeworld. Many aftermarket windshield manufacturers also sell vents. Ebay also has them. Matching the vent to the curve of the shield is important, it should fit fairly close to the contour of the shield, you do not want to pull it much when securing it.

The main thing is to tape the entire area off on the windshield that you want to cut a hole in, tape it off on both sides, do not be stingy with the tape, tape off a big enough area to cover the foot of the jigsaw at any angle. Tape both sides to prevent chipping and a possible scratch.

Then simply drill a series of holes along a traced line , if a four sided vent, drill four holes and then connect the dots with the jigsaw.

If cutting a circle, a hole top and bottom and work half the hole at a time.

A good blade for a jigsaw for the shield plastic is a standard 12 teeth per inch wood blade.

Kit

A regular file can be used to smooth out rough areas and or make a small correction to the vent cut out.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks everyone, I did find it with a forum search and it looksfairly straightforward. I just have to find a vent now.

THANKS

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Kit hit it right, use a blade with fewer teeth. The plastic does not get clogged in the teeth like a 32 TPI blade would. Just keep it slow, and don't be in a hurry.

I installed some of the round vents like Vetter used. I used an adjustable hole cutter. I found the air vents here pretty cheap...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/snapvents.php

Part CC3251+. Comes in pairs (at least mine did..)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Try Cyclemax

Windshield Vent

Price:

$43.00

Item: 1600CL
Details:
This is a clearadjustable windshield vent. It can be opened or closed with the flip of a lever. Replace your original SE vent or add a vent to a non SE bike.(windshield cutting required) It will fit all years of 1500's from 1988-2000. This is available in either clear (pictured) or tinted. It comes with all hardware and this really makes a big difference on those hot days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.