Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I know that these bikes have a history of losing the battery/left side cover. I found a guy in Philadelphia who has them made, and I bought one from him for $75. But it still just doesn't fit right, and I'm always worried that it will fly off (like the originals did). Anyone found a fix for this yet?

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Heat shrink on the tabs and a lanyard. I used fishing leters (sp) and swivels.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

You can just use tie wraps, or go the paying way and buy ties that stick on the inner face of the panel and the frame. Either way the worst that can happen is the panel comes loose and doesn't hit the road.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Tether it on. I used a fishing leader.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

oharaLTD wrote:
BRILLIANT!! Never thought of that! I'll do that this evening and see what a difference it makes. How did you attach the fishing leaders to the cover?

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

lstarett wrote:
oharaLTD wrote:
BRILLIANT!! Never thought of that! I'll do that this evening and see what a difference it makes. How did you attach the fishing leaders to the cover?
Drill a small hole in the tab and use a ...............................I ll post a pic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I just put new gromets in on my GL1100, and replaced the ones on the CB550 5 years ago, never had a cover come off during a ride since. I might tether them so they don't "Fall off" in the parking lot.

James

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Grommets harden and loose their grip just like tires harden with time and heat. A new set of grommets every five years or so isn't an expensive investment for side cover security. The only draw back will be that you'll think a pry bar is needed to take the side cover off for a while. If the pin ends are worn you can coat them with a couple coats of ABS cement on the bulb end of the pin to make it a bit thicker.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

I've used liquid tape to thicken my side covers tabswith great success also new grommets really do help:cool:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

And a Huge Tip I got from a member here.

Is to take a butter knife and put a 90 degree bend in the last inch to help in removing the covers.

It's so simple and what an AWESOME idea.

I can now remove the side covers without taking the seat off.

And I won't break a tab either as I am pulling straight out.

I like the Fishing Leader idea too, But I used heavy Fishing line as I wanted it long enough to lay the cover on the seat.

Yea, I know it's long enough for the cover to hit the ground if it pops off.

But I can fix the damage, At least I will still have the cover.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Lost my battery cover yesterday, wish I would have checked out this post earlier. The covers for my year bike are going for between $200.00 to $400.00 on e-bay.

Do you have the contact info. for the guy you got yours from for $75.00?

Or if anyone can help, my bike is an 86 Aspencade and if i were lucky enough to find, the color is 135M / 135K

Thanks, Dale

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site DWWATERS! :waving::waving:

Sorry that your first post would have to be about losing the sidecover. Those left side ones are becoming like gold, I believe there are more 1200s now than left side covers.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Yes Welcome DWWATERS.

Sorry to hear of your Loss.

You would think we could make a mold and vacuform some covers and then figure a way to attach them other than the sorry grommet system.

I myself would rather see screw heads and know they are attached firmly and also know I could remove them without breaking something.

Anyway, Something I didn't see on this post but has been mentioned elsewhere is:

You can take your grommets and rotate them 90 degrees and they will grip like brand new.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

DWWATERS wrote:
Lost my battery cover yesterday, wish I would have checked out this post earlier. The covers for my year bike are going for between $200.00 to $400.00 on e-bay.

Do you have the contact info. for the guy you got yours from for $75.00?

Or if anyone can help, my bike is an 86 Aspencade and if i were lucky enough to find, the color is 135M / 135K

Thanks, Dale
Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.