Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1998 1500 Aspencade
I have searched here on the form and it seems there are no aftermarket handlebar options for the 1500. I have short arms and would like to have longer handlebars. I am thinking about buying a used set then cutting and welding in some extensions, maybe 3"- 4".
Will all 1500 bars fit all other 1500 bikes? ie. will '88 bars fit my '98??
Maybe other year models had bars that would work better for me without being modified??

PS
I know some will point out the dangers of "welded" bars, I too am not crazy about the idea and would only consider having a professional welder do it.

CS

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

I've reworked my 1500 bars.

To me the OEM are too "turned in" at the wrist and they got fatigued rather quickly.

Also when I adjusted them for my comfort,the OEM bars hit the windshield at both full lock positions. So a solution was hatched.

The Wing's bars have 2 bends in them, upper & lower. I bent the lower inward until they were near parallel. The upper I turned outward about 7 degrees. Then I tilted them towards me. Now I'm very comfy on long rides and my wrists don't ache and the bars JUST BARELY touch the windshield.

One thing about reaching. "IF" you ever get into a emergency situation, you do want to lean your whole body forward. It gives you extra leverage on them bars andit puts you in apoised position with your feet alert on the pegs.

Just my $0.00002 (after taxes)

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

As your problem is reaching the bars you do know that if you remove the cover were the bars bolt to the front forks you can loosen the bolts and lean the bars back towards you, raiseing the bars causes other problems such as cables and pipes being to short

No 19 and 23 in the pic you will get at least 4ins back travel

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies.
I did adjust the bars some and moved my backrest more forward and the riding is more comfortable now. About welding in some extensions, there should have no problem with them hitting anything or binding anywhere, this is the advantage over rotating them. I can see where I could have cable length issues, also most likely could not use the bars covers??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.