Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this fixed? How much? Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
My mechanic gave me a price of about $3000.00 parts and labor and the labor was the killer. So I went ahead and swapped out my engine with a 91 engine the pipping is a little different and it makes my reed valves chatter a little but it runs great and I am happy. If I were you I would swap out the engine with a 96 or above it takes care of the 4th gear problem and cheaper ...Dave

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Hi TN Cruzer,

I too had the 4 gear issue. I didn’t even consider having it fixed. I purchased a new engine and swapped it myself. If you click on my name to the left and choose “More post from …” you would find some posts referring (to some extent) to the process – hiccups I had in my swap.

Yes… a 96 engine and above. If you decide to fix it, and once you have it torn into, you will find extra things you will need or want to have done. The cost gets greater and greater. Then you can’t stop. You’re in too deep.

Get yourself a good engine, clean it up and put it in.

Good luck… and sorry to hear you have issues.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
That's good advice from Tim. Good used GL15000 engines are not too hard to find, usually all sub-$1,000.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Actually it is 97 - 2000 motors that have the upgraded Vaulkrie transmission.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It was done by PO on my 1990, and I've since put 30k miles on it without any problems. I think he paid $3-4k to have it done.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I did the repair myself on my 94. You can read my article about it in the workshop section of this website. I think I only spent about $600 for parts. Its not necessarily true that once you tear it down you want to start fixing more and more things. As long as your bike was running good there is nothing else to fix. just treat it like it is a repair only. I rather enjoyed the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
I replaced the engine,but also repaired my old one. I will be putting the repaired engine back in this spring [soon i hope] so i have a good used one for sale. 1995 model it shifts good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.