Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As the title says I am thinking of going "Green" with a neon green for the main color and a darker Emerald Green as the insert color. Two tone Green, Wow I think It would be bright enough to be seen as well. Kawasaki green is very close to the neon green I am thinking about. What do you folks think, will it look ok for a wing or not.

If I go green I will use Imeron as I have almost a gallon of it from a Boat I painted for a friend of mine. Imeron is a very good paint as it is almost impervious to gas, oil and other chemicals.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Dupont made a Imron clear many years ago. I do not know now, there is no Dupont jobber in my area.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My '86 SEI was Ford Jade Green which really looked good. It's a metallic green and looks great with gold pinstriping. Green and gold are hard to beat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I always heard the old wives tale that green bikes were bad luck. I had one and the only bad luck was when I sold it to a young kid here in town I didn't get all my money!!

I've seen some really good looking green machines!

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

go for it. I guess you probably know you got to be real careful with imron. life expectancy for painters using this full time is very short. The paint lasts longer than the painters. JB

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I am a sucker for green. I painted my Ford truck green when green was not popular, I bought a green cad for the wife, I bought a green corvette for my daughter. I have a GMC truck that had red interior, and my daughter told me jokingly , "go ahead and paint it green, you know you want it green". Fact is, I really did wanted to paint it green trying to find any excuse, but the wife intervened, so Ipainted it maroon.:X

I like emerald/polo greens and the 78 Ford jadeis tough to beat, IMO.

I can not really visualize the neon green as the base. But, the SE GL1500 two tone green is probablyone of my favorites.

I painted my bike three years ago, not green :X. It is solid purple, and I will probably two tone it this year. In two more years, I will probably paint it two tone red. I really want it to be green, but I am sort of trying to discipline myself. It willone day eventually be green.:waving:

I have a leather chair, guess what color.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Mine isnt a bright green, but very similar to the one Paul mentions. Its a good color! Plenty fast, without any red at all...

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

I didn't do my own,but my 84 Std is Basically "Safety Orange" with a glittery inset that changes color slightly depending on the viewing angle.It took some getting used to,but now I wou;dn't have it any other color...You'll get used to it,I say go for it!

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Let me chunk my .05 cents worth in here on Imron paint...First of all its a two part paint, no problem, but where the problem comes in....is this....Imron paint is harder than nails, it is not a forgiving paint, and touch-ups are hell.....But the most important think that I personally have found out about Imron paint is this....IT WON"T FLEX....And painted on ABS parts that DO FLEX.....It chips, and if it chips then just the wind from riding it will peel that crap right off.....Last thing is this.....IF you ever decided to change colors it's a B***H to sand and if you want the next paint job to look right, then ALL that Imron has to come off, or you are looking at a disastrous next paint job.....

I learned this all the hard way, the PO of my Wing painted it with Imron and I have been months sanding, peeling this crap off....You can't use any paint remover that will take Imron off, because anything that does work.....Melts ABS plastic......As a last resort I had to finally use a razor blade to peel off this crap.....That left me with more sanding to do in the long run, but it's coming off, as I said in sheets...OH the PO did a wonderful job of prep work too......He sanded the primer so smooth that in places that Imron didn't stick.....Where the primer was sanded with a courser sand paper it stuck....

Final note from some one that has learned the hard way....Take that Imron paint and find a Hazardous waste dump station, and give it to them....Its not worth the aggravation that comes with it.....DuPont made Imron to be used in places like chemical plants, Then some one decided it would be great for other things....like cars and trucks......In my opinion ....Imron should have never been made available for public sale.....

Get your paint in a basecoat clear coat system that a flex additive can be used in.....Even my primer will have a flex additive in it......costs more but the end results will be more WOW than you can ever get with Imron paint......

Claude....

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Iagree with Redbarron. Imron is some darn good nasty stuff. It is a poly-urethane.

There is no mask or breathable filter that is adequate for spaying polyurethanes. Polyhas isocyanates that is bad for your health. I have painted in paint booths and outside with face mask.When I blow my buggers, you can see all the paint ingested, and you know it would also have gonein your lungs, and poly would be morehazardous. Only a separate positive breathable air system should be use with poly paints.

I have used paint strippers ontwo corvettes that had 2-3 coatsand gel coat with no problems. But, I would not know what to expect with ABS.

Acrylic urethane is my preference. I think I too would spend an extra ~$100,and I woulduse the Imron for something else. A flex additive is ok for very flexible and/or rubber parts, but it is not really required for fiberglass or plastic parts.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

You are partially right about the flex additives..but the front fender on a 82 thru what ever model does not have any type of bracing to keep it in place, so it therefore "flexes" The Imron paint on my front fender would just break off in pieces, if you took the fender and twisted it just a little.....Now the side covers, fairing, faux tank, rear fender, maybe the fairing lowers, and a few other parts might not need flex additives ...But.....the saddle bags and tour box get "flexed" from opening, and closingthe lids and/or over packing them.....So flex additives needed there...

Just to be on the safe side how ever it might be in your best interests to flex additive it all..That way if it gets laid over the paint will "give" some and not crack loose....????
If it costs me a couple more dollars to get the "look" I want and the finish I want then it's worth a few more bucks for the additives.....

I have pricedmy system from PPG, primers, base coat, silver& transparent Blue, and the clear....Right at $700.00 bucks...thatis going to takesome major kissing up to the wife......The metal flake was cheap.....:shock:.....Gold, Silver, Green, Red, Blue, and Clear..$15.00 bucks.....

But the paint is after I get my new stainless steel, blue, brake lines in.....Safety first....

Claude.....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've sprayed one complete airplane with Imron and done repainting of sections of a couple of other airplanes with the stuff. It is or was one of the most popular types of paint used on light aircraft. There are lots of plastic fairings on light planes, wing fillets, flying surface tips, and a bunch more. I think most of them are Royalite not ABS but they are all pretty flexible and paint cracking hasn't been that much of a problem.

As for health concerns I used fans and a regular charcoal respirator when working with the stuff. Better would be a air hood fed with fresh air. I don't know how much damage if any the stuff did to me, if I last another 20 years I'd say none. Of course it's hard to say what pollutants might get me, I've painted quite a bit of airplane parts like wings, tail feathersand fuselages with Nitrate and Butryate dope which probably scrambled some neurons.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine has painted a couple bikes now using spray cans. He uses a basecoat/clearcoat system. He wet sanded between coats. It looks very nice.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Spray cans can do a nice job, it's all in the prep and sanding anyway. The only down side of rattlecans and one step clear coat is a bit less durability. I've seen a couple of projects painted that way that had a mirror finish.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Rattle canned this CX500C. Sprayed clearcoat on top. Didn't look too bad for $10.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
My '86 SEI was Ford Jade Green which really looked good. It's a metallic green and looks great with gold pinstriping. Green and gold are hard to beat.
In the words of the world's most famous pimp, Bishop Don "Magic" Juan:

"Green for the Money and Gold for the Honeys!":cheeky1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.