Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have several motorcycle friends that assure me that I will not have a problem hauling my 99 wing in the bed of my tundra (6 foot bed). Obviously the rear wheel will be sitting on the tailgate. I guess thats roughly 400 lbs on the tailgate. Is this acceptable?? I am not against renting a trailer, but would like to avoid the cost, and the trailer will be empty on the way to san diego from san francisco (where I am picking up the bike and bringing it back)

I have hauled an 03 Road King in this manner and it didn't seem to be a problem. Any feedback would be appreciated. Eric:stumped:

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

hello, i too have hauled a couple of big bikes in the back of a Dodge 1/2 ton, no problems handling the load. my issue is just getting the motorcycle in/out of the vehicle.trying to get something that big up high worries me .
why not fly/ride(or bus) then enjoy the ride home..

Robin

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

My preference would be the trailer.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

another thought.....(scary isn't it)..... are there any NASSIR members near San Bruno with a trailer?? come on folks let's help a fellow rider:cool::D

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I agree, I would go with the trailer. The truck can handle the weight ok but it is more difficult to load and unload. Seems to me that you would have a hard time seeing the front straps in your rearview if the bike was in the bed which would be a safety concern for me.

I trailered my bike home when I picked it up last March. I was planning to ride but the weather turned on me and wasn't used to the bike. Worked well for me

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

A tailgate on the larger trucks like a Chevy or Ford are pretty stout. The smaller trucks like a Datsun/Nissan seemed weak from what I remember. I do not know anythingabouttheTundra.

Two or three fatties sitting on a tail gate drinking beer is not a problem.:alco::blackstuff:

You do not have to worry about it breaking the tailgateleaving you withtwo halves, ha.

By your question, you already know that transporting a MC on the center stand is not acceptable.

You could build a little box/platform or use a 4x4 under the rear tireto distribute the load instead of a single point load in the center.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

The C-channel beam is a great idea. I agree the headache is getting it in and out. I have done it a couple times but never tried it without at least one more guy helping.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I've carried my 1000 in my 93 Toyota pickup with no problems. Didn't hurt the tailgate. The C channel or a piece of 7/8 plywood to take some of the load off the tailgate couldn't hurt.

Q

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I've hauled big bikes with a half ton, but wouldn't do it again. Too easy to get or rent the 'right' tool. I'd onlyuse a proper trailer.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I would ask a Harley rider........:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
I would ask a Harley rider........:cheeky1:
Heh...check the original poster's handle. He used to be one. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Just a note to say, I too needed a way to haul my MotorTrike, and bought an open trailer. You could sell it once you were done, but I'd bet you would keep it! I have, in one year helped 2 Harley guys, and one Winger friend of mine! Not to mention the half dozen times I've used it for my trike!!! I really didn't want to spend the money, but I had it at the time, so went for it.If I HAD to use the Tundra, I'd use a sheet of 3/4" plywood to add a little support to the tailgate. My trailer new was $800.00, but I see em all the time for alot less used. Congrats on your new bike, it must be killin you to have to wait to pick her up!!! Good luck with whatever you decide! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

When I bought my bike I rented a MC trailer from uhaul, like was said earlier about $20.00 I have a F150, which I've hauled my cx500 a couple of times, but the 850lbs up and in and then down and out of the bed didn't seem feasible, particularly as the guy I was buying from wasn't going to be able to help me load.

You'll have to make sure you have the proper hitch and wires for lighting before they will hook it to your truck.

Chuck

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,716 Posts
imported post

My son has a 06 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup truck. He once loaded up his FJR1300 in it to save renting a trailer.

His comments after doing that only once. Never, ever, again.

The logistics of getting a bike that big, up that high, and then needing to put it from the right corner over to the left corner on the side stand. Too much lugging and tugging.

The next trip, he bought a trailer and it will always be there when he needs it. Besides, he was going from San Diego, CA to Vancouver, BC. Not a short haul. The trailer allowed him to throw in some clothing, etc.... Worked out a lot better.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

tire joe wrote:
Rent a Uhaul bike trailer about 20 bucks.
This is the way to go...........We did this on a ride in Kansas when Patch blew a head gasket on his Wing. The U-Haul motorcycle trailer was perfect, and $20 was a deal and a lot safer. It will cost you more is you drop your wing loading or unloading from the truck. :cooldevil:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.