Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey everyone, I was just preping my notes for the big ride to Florida to pick upTracy's andmy new wing and thought I'd post what and how I haul my wings especaily when hauling long distance.

Here's what I take with me souly for the wing:

socket set

bike tool box (a box I keep in my wing)

Cordless Drill, cordless sawzaw :)

charged batteries

Straps at least 6-8

bunji cords a milk crate full

Tarp

tape both electrical and good old red greens favorite stuff duct tape:cool:

2x4's screwed to trailer with wood screws

wood screws

When I plan on hauling a new to me wing prior to loading it up I will remove certain things like, the windshield(helps reduce drag i.e. slightly better gas milage) remove trunk(same reason plus help keep it away from my tall tailgate)

I remove the side covers( not wanting to buy replacements:D ) and anything else that might fly off and hurt someone or cost me more money to replace.

Just thought I'd share this as it works for me and we will be coming back 800+ miles from Florida to our house in one shot:action:

We leave tomorrow at 6pm and our exspected arrival time in fla is 9am or 10am depending on the traffic.

Ride Safe, Ray and Tracy:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I recommend a batch of ratchet straps. They are the best thing I've found for securing a 'Wing in a trailer or truck.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

yep got 6-8 on my list, and stop to check them once and a while too:)

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Have a safe trip, maybe the weather will hold out for you. We had some pretty strong T-storms come through here tonight. Moving east southeast.

Got your bearings greased up good on the trailer??:cool:

Look foward to the pics:action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

yeah we been watching the weather but hey that is the way it goes for me :shock:

Everything greased and ready:)

Pics probably thursday at earliest.

Ride Safe, Ray:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Don't forget the soup cans and string:shock:

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I'm up becouse I'm at work all nite what are you doing:D

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
If It was me,that New Wing would have 900 miles on it when it got to my driveway.
yeah me too but it needs a stator replaced:action:

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I always use wrap soft ties around the bike and hook the ratchet straps to the soft ties.

I saw you included a tarp on you list, don't drive with the bike covered. There is a high likelihood the tarp whipping in the wind would damage the bikes finish.

Soft Ties

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

I agree with aht_six. Don't drive with the bike covered by a tarp. The tarp may beat the heck out of the finish on the bike.
I see that you screw boards down as wheel choks. This works out very well. I also tie my wheels to the sides of the trailer so that it can't slide sideways. You never know when some fool will pull out in front of you and your only choice is unexpected off-road driving. I had a snowmobile on the trailer and a guy pulled right out in front of me while I was doing about 55 mph. It was either go off road or t-bone him so it was into the ditch for me. The sled stayed right where I put it as I went through the ditch, over the driveway, back into the ditch and right back onto the road. IT took me 10 minutes at the car wash to remove all of the wsnow from the engine compartment but I was glad that I spent the estra tmie securing my load.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

The tarp is for me if I have to climb under my suv for anything or if its pouring down and I need to work under the hood it works great:action:

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Question ~

I understand not using a tarp, but would you cover the bike with a bike cover - tied securely to the bike of course? To me, as long as it was wrapped tightly to the bike, it would be ideal protection from the elements.

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Bike covers...ha. God forbid motorcycles get any sort of rain or dirt on them. I've trailered several motorcycles and never had a problem. Just one more thing that could fly off and need tying down again.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Bike covers...ha. God forbid motorcycles get any sort of rain or dirt on them. I've trailered several motorcycles and never had a problem. Just one more thing that could fly off and need tying down again.
Wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but thanks.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Can't answer for bikes, because I have never trailered one. But I used to move vending machines and we NEVER covered the machines for that very reason, between the damage it could do to the paint (which we usually had just touched up or redone), and the fact that the boss had two horror stories involving tarps ( one was a broken front glass on a machine due to the whipping action, the other involved a trailer trying to flip over on him when the tarp came loose on one side and ended up either under his or some other vehicles tires... either way scarry...)

I don't know that I would even do a bike cover because at 70mph it doesn't matter how secure it is, it is going to whip in the wind.

Clint

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Thanks. Appreciate it. I've never trailered a bike and don't have plans to at the moments...just curious what the thought on covering it was.

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen a bike on a trailer that had any type of cover on it:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Did anybody mention the spare tire for the trailer? I guess I just did.:cheeky1::cooldevil:

Avoiding moments of embarrassment.:D

Have a safe trip too.

Longboater

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Longboater wrote:
Did anybody mention the spare tire for the trailer? I guess I just did.:cheeky1::cooldevil:

Avoiding moments of embarrassment.:D

Have a safe trip too.

Longboater
Too late, Ray's already down there by now!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.