Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I will be buying a receiver mounted cooler rack for my 1500, but before doing so, I have a question about hauling items on the hitch of your wing. Do you notice much difference in the bikes handling? How much weight can you safely haul on a cooler rack before the front end starts getting light...or does it?
I've seen photos of some loaded down racks, and it doesn't seem like a real good idea to me! :?

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Send a PM to Peterbylt, he posted some really nice looking ones here.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I've had my 45# weight belt on mine a couple of times and didn't even notice it in the handling. I also have hauled 2 5 gallon gas cans to the station & back to be filled and didn't notice any handling issues then either. That would have been around 50#'s for a little over 4 gallons in each can.However, I had my86 loaded heavy one time with camping gear on the trunk rack and bagsand the front end felt very light. I'm guessing the 1200 would have felt a lot different than my 1500 with my weight beltor gas cans on the hitch rack.

John

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

CBH wrote:
I will be buying a receiver mounted cooler rack for my 1500, but before doing so, I have a question about hauling items on the hitch of your wing. Do you notice much difference in the bikes handling? How much weight can you safely haul on a cooler rack before the front end starts getting light...or does it?
I've seen photos of some loaded down racks, and it doesn't seem like a real good idea to me! :?
I have a home made hitch rack and for the most part i cannot tell it's back there... I would advise watching what you're doing when you exit parking lots. I've been known to drag mine once or twice.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

It all depends on where the weight is located.

It it is located off the axis of rotation i.e. high on the rack/seat, then yes you will notice it.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

rottie wrote:
It all depends on where the weight is located.

It it is located off the axis of rotation i.e. high on the rack/seat, then yes you will notice it.
Yep....but I was asking about hauling items on a hitch rack.
I believe that if John can haul 45 to 50 pounds on his hitch rack, then I should have no concerns! Now I'm going to go buy that rack! :waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I regularly carry a suit case weighing about 15kg on my rack without any affect what so ever. I wouldn't be putting anything much more than the weight that John mentioned, or it may become somewhat unstable, with the steering feeling light at best.
:waving:

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

I remember seeing an article once that showed how any weight above or behind the rear axle of the bike does indeed affect handling. With the goldwing and rider weighing in the vicinity of 900 pounds the affect of 40 or 50 pounds shouldn't be much at all.

As was said, lower is better and keeping any heavier items as far forward as possible will help as well.

The safest thing would be to take the bike to a parking lot, have someone bring your cargo in the cage, load the bike and test it out where there is no traffic to worry about.

You could also start out with 10 pounds on the rack, do a test ride, add 10 more do another test ride and repeat until you find your limit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.