Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is this correct: 7- normal h.r., 6- hotter, 8- colder?Have any of you 1500 owners changedplug heat range and if so, why? My present standard plugs [ DPR7EA-9] haveabout 40,000 miles. This riding season, Wingbecamevery hardto start cold andsometimes also when at operating temp. Have CompuFire/ 700 CCA pickup truck battery in my sidecar rig. Starter had always spun engine over instantly on first try
BUT NOT this riding season. Could this be due tomy old plugs OR starterage/condition ORour corn alcoholfuel orALL the above?Run plus grade; get slightly better mileage over using regular[ have checked this several times]. Maybecarbs needrebuild, after 16+ years/ 65,000+ miles, with 10 periods of long winter storage [ sometimes with fuel stabilizer and sometimes not.....am absent-minded old coot]?And, since last year, Wing now hashesitation'dead spots' when accelerating fromstopped. Any good advice on what to check/do/change really appreciated, TTFN....papasmurf

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Your problem is probably not the plugs. Mine still looked and performed like new at 40,000 miles.

I suspect the issue is the fuel delivery system (inadequate fuel supply). I would check the fuel filter first since it is the easiest and go from there. Other possibilities could be weak fuel pump, weak vacuum on the fuel shutoff valve (can't remember what it is called), dirty carbs or some water in the system.

While the wings supposed to be able to run on 10% ethanol, that doesn't address the issue of what happens over the long haul when ethanol-laced gasoline is stored. Owners of two cycle engines are reporting that ethanol attracts moisture and causes rust inside their fuel tanks and engines and damages plastic and rubber parts. I know from personal experience that the stuff makes the rubber and plastic parts on small engines deteriorate. I think the company that makes the Stabil brand of fuel stabilizer has come out with a formulation especially for ethanol fuels.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Have you changed the air and fuel filters recently? Not a good idea to leave gasaholin over the winter months without Stabil added to the gas. I would try new spark plugs, along with the filters first. Gap the new plugs at .032. By age alone you should have replaced cam belts by now also. See if that helps.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

ok try to explain a little better for us, is it spinning over like it should or is it simply not starting like you think it should? 2 different things here, let us know

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

It is NOT the spark plugs. explain Hard starting. cranks for a longer time before starting or cranks slow.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

40,000 on a set of DPR7EA-9 plugs is way over the suggested service life.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

gumbyred wrote:
Not a good idea to leave gasaholin over the winter months without Stabil added to the gas. Tom Bishop`98 S.E.
http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

I saw an ad for this in the current issue of Rider Magazine. In addition of being a fuel stabilazer, it also breaks down the ethanol in your fuel to allow your engine to burn it easier.Another plus,it's available from WalMart in the Sporting goods/marine aisle.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
gumbyred wrote:
Not a good idea to leave gasaholin over the winter months without Stabil added to the gas. Tom Bishop`98 S.E.
http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

I saw an ad for this in the current issue of Rider Magazine. In addition of being a fuel stabilazer, it also breaks down the ethanol in your fuel to allow your engine to burn it easier.Another plus,it's available from WalMart in the Sporting goods/marine aisle.
Have you run this starbrite yet? If not how do you think its going to help PaPa's problem?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

WHY THE HOSTILITY newday? Get up on the WRONG side of the bed tuff guy?
FYI, I was NOT addressing PaPa's problem. I was commenting on an alternative to using stabil fuel treatment. THAT IS WHY I QUOTED GUMBYRED IN MY REPLY.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

No Hostility bro. Just asking if you've used it and how you think it will help him.
You have TOO much last night?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Yes, I did PARTY until 3am. And yes I have used the Startron in my boat & jet ski's as a fuel stabilizer. I never knew about SeaFoam until I joined this board.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I asked because you didn't put that in your op and I haven't seen it mentioned here before(may have been & I could have missed it).
I have wondered if there was anything better to counter the effects of the ethanol attracting water.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

He He ., Must be Sunday... everyone is hungover and grumpy .
I know i am as its been so stinking hot here lately there is nothing other to do but slam down the cold ones.
At 40000 miles papa , its time to change the plugs but i suspect as others do that the hard start is not your plugs. If rolling slow on the starter check bat. etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.