Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, have a good look at this article I came across: http://www.ratbike.org/bbs/index.php?messageID=25324

After reading this article I went out and flushed the brake fluid out of my 84 Aspencade and could not believe how much contaminant I saw in the reservoirs after only 3 years of use. It looked like creamy yellowish mush sitting at the bottom of the reservoir and was easily removed with aerosol brake cleaner and paper towels. I even sprayed the inside of the fluid level window with the brake cleaner and can now see through it.

You can bet that I'll be making flushing and bleeding the brake system on my Wing an annual maintenance item, especially since the brake feel is much more firm and positive since the fluid replacement and bleeding.

Had I left the contamination in the system I would have been replacing the master cylinders in the very near future due to corrosion from the accumulated moisture.

Vic

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

And it's not like brake fluid is expensive either... I usually change mine annually, or when I notice the color of the fluid in the resevoir is getting darker.

When I rebuilt the rear caliper on my bike, I found a 20 year old accumulation of dirt inside the piston chamber, about a teaspoon full.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

seems like I started a thread about brake fluid and how it works a while back.... key is, when it is no longer clear, time to change it... the most overlooked and important fluid on your bike

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Hey Vic, look down about 20 posts or so. Beat ya to it.:toast:

Good article, isn't it. I printed it out for future reference.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

That's right, sir.

I've enjoyed the learning process so far with my wing. It's the first vehicle that I've owned in a long time that I actually don't mind working on.

Have a good weekend, Vic. Hope you get some riding in. I've got to work:(but sometimes I can take my bike.:D

C-Ya

hobie

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I have just changed mine ,,Honda recommend to change the fluids every 2 years ,,it does make a difference to the feel of the pedal also ..Ciaran

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Well after all my front brake woos I have flushed the brake system on mine this past week...All I can say is eeewww:shock:

After we got my GW working right we flushed the brake system on my wifes bike....Not near as bad but still needed a good flushing:cool:

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

On the subject of Brake fluid. Anybody know a good source for DOT 4? All the auto stores carry DOT 3 & Synthetic which is supposed to be 4 compatibal but I know it doesn't work as well as 4 on Bikes. I found a couple that also had old DOT 5 (though it was $$) I suppose I'll have to check with some bike shops....

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Napa carries DOT4.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

I always had my brake fluid changed every couple of years. When it started to go a dark yellow I took this as a warning sign.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
imported post

hi all, i did the same to my 84 1200 aspy and what you describe is exactly what was in mine plus the fluid was murky,took me and my daughter about 35 mins too refill the whole system with good stuff its an easy job but be careful not to let the fluid splash on the paint work,i used dot 4 i also used a socket set with the long extension bar to get at the bleed valve,bri uk.;)

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

Belive it or not, our local grocery store carries DOT-4 brake fluid, I don't recall the brand but it was a major name maker of brake fluid, etc.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.