Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The vast majority of Wing and Valk owners take an enormous pride in their bikes and lavish an endless stream of money at them getting everything just right. The technical forum is full of us all maintaining the bike way beyond Honda's service schedule.

So my question is...why is it whensomeone new joins the forum having just brought a bike it always seems to need everything doing to it? Strange eh! Must mean there are a lot of bikes out there sat in sheds just waiting to be sold and brought back to life. I'd love to find one but never can.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

They are out there. I have found that whenever the topic of bikes comes up I let it be known that I work on them and that I am looking for a project. And to let anyone listening know that if they have a friend that has one give them my number.

I got my Goldwing and now a Norton that way. Word of mouth.

To answer the first question, I think a lot of people out there get a bike and have it for a few years. Once there are issues with it, to the shed it goes. And that is where much of the damage is done from non-use. Most are not aware of resources like this. And I think many are hesitant of jumping into it. I figure if it wasn't working in the first place, why not try to fix it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I used to haunt Craigslist in Seattle/Tacoma when I lived there. I found several neglected 1100s that I bought pretty inexpensively and refurbished for resale. In the larger metropolitan areas it's not too hard to find them. For all of us who take care of our bikes there are probably four or five who don't, especially on the older ones. For another example just go to the nearest marina and look at the boats that haven't been untied from the dock in years. Just sitting there growing barnacles. You can find similar things at small airports, airplanes tied down and slowly sinking into the ground. Never could understand why people don't sell things they no longer use before so much damage is done.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

I think exavid makes a good point, even more so with the economy. When folks are doing well they have money/time for toys. Once the novelty and economy fall off things are left to collect dust/rust and "BARNACLES". (don't know why I love that word)... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

Shooter wrote:
I think exavid makes a good point, even more so with the economy.  When folks are doing well they have money/time for toys.  Once the novelty and economy fall off things are left to collect dust/rust and "BARNACLES".  (don't know why I love that word)...                                   :gunhead:
Amen to that. Up here insurance is expensive and many people paying for bike and car insurance are in the sad position of only being able to afford one or the other. In Winter a car is more essential and that's where the insurance money goes, while the bike gets put aside. :byebye:

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I used to haunt Craigslist in Seattle/Tacoma when I lived there. I found several neglected 1100s that I bought pretty inexpensively and refurbished for resale. In the larger metropolitan areas it's not too hard to find them. For all of us who take care of our bikes there are probably four or five who don't, especially on the older ones. For another example just go to the nearest marina and look at the boats that haven't been untied from the dock in years. Just sitting there growing barnacles. You can find similar things at small airports, airplanes tied down and slowly sinking into the ground. Never could understand why people don't sell things they no longer use before so much damage is done.
An older wing in good condition still gets a good price. Unfortunately the owners of neglected bikes see those prices and think they can get the same prices for neglected bikes.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

JWayne wrote:
Shooter wrote:
I think exavid makes a good point, even more so with the economy. When folks are doing well they have money/time for toys. Once the novelty and economy fall off things are left to collect dust/rust and "BARNACLES". (don't know why I love that word)... :gunhead:
Amen to that. Up here insurance is expensive and many people paying for bike and car insurance are in the sad position of only being able to afford one or the other. In Winter a car is more essential and that's where the insurance money goes, while the bike gets put aside. :byebye:
Ya, good point. I would love a Valk or even a HD as a second bike, but insurance costs prohibit that. Insuring a bike and car is all I can handle.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

:?Like my stepson. He came into a ton of money, and also was bequieved his Dad's 40 foot Sea Ray boat. He has a Porsche G2, a mint 80's Ninja with nitrous, a 73 Camaro pace car, a frame up retored 71 Vette,a 9 second 1/4 mile dually show truck, and no money to sustain any of them. Mom and I have expressed our dismay at his letting this stuff sit and rot. Can't get him to part with any of it. I just don't understand it. Heck, it would take a 6 figure income just to keep up the registration and maintanance/storage. I guess we'll just have to sit back and watch it all go bye-bye eventually. :byebye:What a dumbass. An otherwise good person, but can't handle money. jimsjinx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.