Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, don’t really what to create a long thread about tires, but . . . .

I noticed the bike was getting a little hard to drive and a little wobbly in the front. After I got home from work I check my tires. Dam if that back tire didn’t look like spaghetti. Time for new rubber, the Bridgestone’s I bought went fast.
I saw some tires that looked interesting, but wanted to get the group’s opinion on them has anybody used Shinko tires?
http://www.motosport.com/cruiser/Shinko-SR733-SR734-Tire-Combo

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Not sure if they've changed their tires but I was disappointed in mine. They may be better on lighter weight bikes, but for our 1/2 ton easy chairs, I've liked the Bridgestone and Dunlops for long life.

Here was mine after only about 8K miles on the front:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am running shinko's on my gl1100.

Looks like I am going to get about 10k out of the back and about 15k out of the front before they need replaced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Didn't that brand go by the name of ChinShin years ago? Could be wrong about that, but I ran them on the dirt bikes all the time as a budget tire.

I'm running Kenda Kruz 673's on the GL1500 and I think they'll work out nicely. The reviews are excellent and the price is right. Amazon is a good bet for low price.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I went with the Dunlop E3 in July. I had 10000 miles on the original Dunlops that came with my bike new. I had the Dynabeads inserted when I put on the new tires and with 5000 miles on the tire the look like 50% wear.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Didn't that brand go by the name of ChinShin years ago? Could be wrong about that, but I ran them on the dirt bikes all the time as a budget tire.

I'm running Kenda Kruz 673's on the GL1500 and I think they'll work out nicely. The reviews are excellent and the price is right. Amazon is a good bet for low price.
It is Cheng Shin, and I used to buy them when I owned a go-cart rental place in El Paso back in the 70's. They still do tires, and I think they go by Maxxis now.

I'm all for saving a buck here and there, but something like tires I am not willing to risk it.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I ran a SR733 radial Shinko on the front of my 1500. I think it went 6500 miles. $75 shipped to my door from Motorcycle Wharehouse.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I agree with da_bull. May be fine on lite bike. But I had tire seperation front and rear on my 1500. Less than 5,000 miles. No way I would run them again on a 1500 or 1800.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Hi, don’t really what to create a long thread about tires, but . . . .

I noticed the bike was getting a little hard to drive and a little wobbly in the front. After I got home from work I check my tires. Dam if that back tire didn’t look like spaghetti. Time for new rubber, the Bridgestone’s I bought went fast.
I saw some tires that looked interesting, but wanted to get the group’s opinion on them has anybody used Shinko tires?
http://www.motosport.com/cruiser/Shinko-SR733-SR734-Tire-Combo
I have them on my 1200 and best riding and best gripping tire I have ever used and yes also the cheapest, If I get 8000 miles from them I'll be very happy and buy another set.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I have them on my 1200 and best riding and best gripping tire I have ever used and yes also the cheapest, If I get 8000 miles from them I'll be very happy and buy another set.
That is my experience with 230 tourmasters, 8,000 to 9,000 miles on the rear, good traction even when wore out

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
On my last tire replacement I considered them. I called one of the vendors and asked the sales person what he thought of them. He told me that they had a lot of complaints, and he felt that they weren't good enough for the heavy bikes. I ended up going with something else.
That said, I've never run on them myself, so I don't have any personal experience with them.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I installed one on the rear of my 1200 last season. Great tire, good wet-road handling. They are reported to be a 'softer' tire and I'm told not to expect to set any mileage records with it. That is fine with me, I prefer a tire that gives me good performance and control. It has already lasted longer than the Metzler did ( it started cracking at about 4500 miles).

The Shinko is starting to table-top a little, but no more than the Metzler showed at this age. The Dunlops that were on the bike when I got it were cupped severely, and not very friendly on wet roads. I didn't check their age when i took them off, but I expect they were quite old, even tho they still had some tread left.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I have a pair of 712's on my 1100 and that is what I am putting back on when these are shot. Great tire in wet or dry, on flat roads or twisties.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I had a set on my 1500; they were at 14000 miles and still plenty to go!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Had a set on my 1200 and got about 5500 miles on the rear and 7000 on the front. They do handle well and are good on wet pavement.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went back to Bridgestone since I had a spare rear tire. I had the most interesting ride to the shop with the back tire wobbling and front tire weaving. It was interest how fast those tire wore.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
It really scares me how little mileage people are getting on any tires for the Wing.. I have 5400 miles on my 2010's first set and looks like I may be about 60% ...I really dont think a 15,000 mile tire would be too much to ask for in this industry.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co.
I Have went through 3 sets of Shinko tires on my Hayabusa that weighs 560 lbs. wet. I trust my life to these tires at the speeds the Busa can achieve!
Currently have the Shinko tires on my 1988 Goldwing but have only put around 2000 miles on them. The Goldwing weighs around 900 lbs. wet, but they seem to be wearing well.
Maybe the difference in weight will make a difference on how long the tires will last, as another poster mentioned. I do know in my area many people do use the Shinko tires on their sport bikes. The are inexpensive tires, but they are a very good tire.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.