Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a SPOT unit which is a satelite tracking device. It is really cool and works well. I use it when out hunting and camping with the Scouts.

Basically it is a GPS that transmits your location to the GlobalStar satelites and then send the info via the web to a shared page. It also will email whoever you want with the info. Primarily a safety device it gives you the ability to call for help from virtually anywhere in the world. You can send a message that you're OK, that you need local help from your own suppotrt people, or in a reall 911 emergency you can send a message that is received by the GEOS search and rescue and they will send a helicopter out to get you.

The SPOT also has a tracking feature that will send a message out occasionally to show where you are.

I have set up a shared page here: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0IG4q49K5u9KsdM7Ste4hU8M0q1Pn41LT

This is public and not password protected so you can just click on the link and it will show you where we are on the trip. We are leaving in about 3 hours at 6 PM Pacific time.

Take a look. This is a great device, not really that expensive and a great safety item.

:action::action::action::action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
imported post

...I think I will check into that. Would be interesting to put on the wife's car in case she ever had problems. She has a severe case of location dyslexia
:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:

...I think I will check into that. Would be interesting to put on the wife's car in case she ever had problems. She has a severe case of location dyslexia
:cheeky1:
My wife uses it when going to the cabin. There are several areas with no cell coverage and not much traffic.

This last years moose hunting trip one of our group had recently moved to New York and could not join us for the hunt. I wore the SPOT on my backpack and he could follow each day where I was. Made him feel like part of the hunt as the google sat maps are so good he could see the meadows where we were hunting and knew some of the spots we had gotten moose in past years.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
imported post

...I just spent about an hour looking at their website.

I do believe that to be a very useful tool to have in my First Aid kit for any traveling. M/C or car/trailer.

I'm fairly self sufficent, but sometimes an incident will occur whereby your own self sufficiency is just not enough to over come the odds.
:headbanger:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

There is a guy in our riders club here in Norfolk, VA that recently made a trip to the Arctic Circle. He used one so that we could follow his progress each day. It was pretty cool to watch.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

I have one, and use it for motorcycling in the summer and snowmobiling in the winter. I gives my wife an idea of my location when I am miles from a road.

It also gives you the abililty of calling in Emergency services if the need arises.

It's not perfect and doesn't mark every waypoint, but its good enough. There is no way I'd go off road cycling or snowmobiling without it.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've thought it would be great on long rides. When I get a wild crazy moment and want to do IBA type rides Nancy doesn't go along with me, so it would be a good thing to let her know I'm okay.
Unless I'm having a quick lunch at the Cafe Risque!

·
Just one of the guys
4,814 Posts
imported post

I just checked and it shows where you were 5 minutes ago. Pretty cool little piece of technology.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
imported post

...Almost the same here, I looked and it is 7 minutes old for me. At track point #8 headed for Kamloops it seems.

Dark thirty and a half there ole son. Where you going to bed down tonight? :walker:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
imported post

Okay, okay.... You rode all that way mostly in the dark.... You went right through glacier national park in the dark..... and you are still moving at 2:00 A.M.

do you really know where you are going? :D

I think you are pushing it son, but keep the rubber side down. Okay?

Be safe there 1-Shot, I'm watching you...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
imported post

you still on the move, do ride keerful there.....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
imported post

I'm pretty impressed with this.

I'm going to get one for my son because he is working in Canada, and neither his wife, nor his mom and me know where he is.

You understand, he is only 36 years old and he needs watching :D

This kind of the warm fuzzies I do believe would really make his mom and his wife feel a whole lot better.

Here you are at the last shot, I have zoomed right in on your location in Hybrid mode super imposing the roads onto the satellite view.

I found out that the page will auto-center to the new location. That makes it easy to just leave a laptop on that web page, turn off the Screen Saver, and with a quick glance, we can tell where our son is working at "right now". Neat oh...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
imported post

Well, well, You have doubled back on yourself. You are almost back to Redgrave.

And, you've not been to beddie bye... Those Northern lights must be keeping you awake ;)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
imported post

I think I missed something about this trip schedule, you appear to be doing an Iron Butt ride :)

You are most of the way back home. That 1500 surely must be running smoooooth. :waving:

Yep, did a little sleuthing, and that ye are. Great trip you have going there.

Have a safe ride home.

For others looking at this, 1-Shot described what he is doing in this thread.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=73576&forum_id=4

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I LOVE IT, got to get one of those. As soon as the trike is back together again anyway. That is way cool.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

What a trip to boot. I used to spend 6 days a month in Calgary, so my trips up to Banff, Lake Louise, Canmore, were plenty. 8 hours work in the shop and still 8 to 10 hours of light to go play(summer time). What a place, brought back a lot of memories.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Looks like at #50 they have pulled over or are riding at the extreme right side of the road.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

You can see it that close, you can tell the road side?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
You can see it that close, you can tell the road side?
If you go to it and key satellite and look for #50. Use the left side scales to center the #50 and then keep pressing the vertical plus button. You will have to keep adjusting the map to keep the #50 centered. he must have at that time pulled over on the left side of the road as they are heading west. Possibly a gas bar. It will not allow me to get any closer then that. Tony

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.