Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fun computer stuff to do when you get snow and don't have a reason to go out.
1. Put Dissenter Browser on HP laptop, they claim it is more secure.
2. Opened up a GMX email account, switching some online retailers to it.
3. Installed WINE on HP laptop and will load some Windows programs to it.
4. Sending emails to those in the gmail account to use Yahoo instead.
These are things I have been trying to get to but needed a good reason to do them.
I can honestly tell you that the Dissenter Browser is a bit clumsy and takes time to work with.
I am trying the WINE because there is the Word program with the nice type fonts and I want to use it. I may also give my cross stitch program a try.
:)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
I tried to use Opera over the last couple of days, that browser just irritates the hell out of me.
it does not know how to handle Bookmarks properly.

so, back to my old standby, Firefox. the only browser that properly manages Bookmarks.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
I installed Dissenter, it lasted 5 minutes, what a piece of crap.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a very 'Clumsy' browser and the settings have to be done at each website, there is no way to make one setting for all. I had Opera for a while, just didn't care for it.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
I installed Opera v19 on a couple old computers I have banging around here. It is the ONLY browser that will still work on modern websites AND install / run on Win 98 and XP.

Just for grins, Ya Know.... Amazed those computers still work.

One of these days I'll try hotting up a Win 95 VM, just to see what happens.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a laptop that runs XP, a neighbor that was moving was going to throw it in the trash but gave it to me for my collection. Sad thing is they left much personal info in it, which I have deleted.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
non techie people don't think about cleaning up the hard drives....
I have used Sledge Hammers on a lot of HDDs from where I used to work.
they wanted us to use some kind of Military Grade encrytion to write 00s and 11s on the drives, that would take about 2 days back with the old slow CPUs, so me and my buddy just decided to smash them with a Sledge.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're fortunate that I am an honest person, as they left income tax documents with birth dates and social security numbers. The music that was left in it is okay, there is a lot of good old tunes saved there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I tried several times to download Dissenter but must have been catching it at the wrong time. Kept getting error messages. So I opted for Brave and I kind of like it. Was so used to Mozilla Firefox that it's taken a little effort to cut the cord. Dissenter seemed the better choice though.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Don't think I will ever leave Firefox.

A blog is just someone spouting off

It won't happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts