·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Just one of the guys
4,782 Posts
imported post

This is just my guess from far away....Fuse number 8 controls all of that PLUS the headlight relays according to my manual. Since the relays for most of this stuff is in the block right next to the fuse block I am thinking there may be a broken wire in the back of the relay block. It can be removed by just pulling 2 bolts and the back of it snaps off. I would suggest doing this and looking for a wire loose or disconnected in there.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

Not sure what all the accessory panel installed in the right saddlebag controls but that would be my first look since it's been recently messed with. Remove the power lead going to it on the battery end or at least inspect all of that and make sure you don't have short. These kinds of problems don't usually just happen on their own. I didn't put that panel back together myself but I know it was disconnected to get your saddlebag off for the tire change.

John

·
Administrator
20,578 Posts
imported post

Yep, if nothing else..........that would be the first place I'd look.

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,706 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Not sure what all the accessory panel installed in the right saddlebag controls but that would be my first look since it's been recently messed with. Remove the power lead going to it on the battery end or at least inspect all of that and make sure you don't have short. These kinds of problems don't usually just happen on their own. I didn't put that panel back together myself but I know it was disconnected to get your saddlebag off for the tire change.

John
Thanks John

Everything worked fine after the tire removal and installation...This came about on the way home after putting a few thousand miles on the Bike...

I researched the threads and found trhat Flyboyzel ( Our toolmaster ) had the same problem..I sent him a Pm and he replied but no message was in the reply..LOL

Appears he thinks his same problem was cured by replacing the # 3 relay and that cured it...In his post he said he got the relay from a Autozone...I was looking for that part # to get it from them while I am still in the USA.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=109356&forum_id=1&highlight=no+bag+lights+1500

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hawggy here is a reply with the part number:

Its a driving light relay.....Pilot  PL-RY1  It is a 30 amp relay and has one tab you have to break off of it to get the relay panel cover to fit....cost is around 7.99 and they work well.

·
1,706 Posts
imported post

Thanks Everyone for your help...

I switched out # 3 relay and it worked with another relay...Will look for a replacement part tomorrow..Should be Ok after that..

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
20,578 Posts
imported post

Hawggy wrote:

I switched out # 3 relay and it worked with another relay...Will look for a replacement part tomorrow..Should be Ok after that..

Thanks again.
:applause::applause:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

Hawggy wrote:

Thanks again.
Awesome! Sounds like a good part for the spares. I'm glad you got it nailed down!

John

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I bought one from Cyclemax to carry. Not sure if it's in there or got lost waiting to be packed in someplace.
I also carry a set of spare Hitachi alt brushes in case someone needs them on the road.
Both small enough to stash just about anywhere.

Now where did I stash those????

·
1,706 Posts
imported post

Couldn't find an autozone in our travels today...went into O'Reillys to see if the could match the part #..No luck.

Made it to Mackinaw City Michigan today...will be home tomorrow.

·
1,706 Posts
imported post

Unable to locate a Pilot PL-RY1 relay anywhere in Michigan.

I am back in Canada now. Does anyone know what car or truck this part fits on? Autozone could not match it to a vehicle..I would like to locate a relay in Ontario for the the Bike but we don't have Pilot Brand in canada, that I know of.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

That is a general purpose 30A automotive relay. It looks like a one inch square cube with a mounting tab up one side and spade tabs on the bottom. There are sealed and non-sealed versions. Get the sealed if you can.
Any auto parts store has them and forget the brand.
When they ask what vehicle it is for, tell them it is a general purpose relay, not model specific.
Should be less than $8 US anywhere.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Hawggy wrote:
Unable to locate a Pilot PL-RY1 relay anywhere in Michigan.

I am back in Canada now. Does anyone know what car or truck this part fits on? Autozone could not match it to a vehicle..I would like to locate a relay in Ontario for the the Bike but we don't have Pilot Brand in canada, that I know of.
I was able to get one ordered in by my local autozone. Worst case if you are unable to get one let me know, i can have a couple more ordered in and just ship em too you. That is if that is cost effective for you since your in canada? If you wanna do this just send me a pm and ill get u taken care of...

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Rudy that only works where the "Parts Person" can do more than punch keys on a computer...If you don't have a make, model, and year, it doesn't exist!!!...I get so tired of going in to some "parts stores" and Giving every thing but my first born, to get parts....They hate me at one store here because when they start, I add at the end of their "spill"..."OH BTW it does have white wall tires, Does that help???"...

So just going into 99% of "parts stores and asking for a relay by part number, will only work if they have a "real parts person".....

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Rudy that only works where the "Parts Person" can do more than punch keys on a computer...If you don't have a make, model, and year, it doesn't exist!!!...I get so tired of going in to some "parts stores" and Giving every thing but my first born, to get parts....They hate me at one store here because when they start, I add at the end of their "spill"..."OH BTW it does have white wall tires, Does that help???"...

So just going into 99% of "parts stores and asking for a relay by part number, will only work if they have a "real parts person".....

·
1,706 Posts
imported post

Thanks Rudy and tmdriverwannabe

While in the USA I checked at Napa,Oreilly's,Advance and Autozone...No one had the correct relay in stock..Autozone could order one in but it wouldn't be in Port Huron till Tuesday and we are home now..LOL

I will check at our local Napa here in Kincardine...I had called them while in the US and they said they didn't carry " Pilot " brand...Thats why I was asking for what application this relay fit..I will take the old relay up to them tomorrow and see if we have a Canadian supplier that makes the same relay. If not, tybeme has offered to mail one up for me from Kansas.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.