Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I was young (and dinosaurs ruled the Earth), there were only four good sources for repair info -- factory manuals, Chilton's manuals, Haynes manuals, and hanging around the parts counter at the dealership. Haynes used to take a brand new whatever-it-was and tear it down into a pile of screws, springs and gaskets, with lots of good info on every little thing.

Fast forward a few years, and both Chilton's and Haynes have . . .degraded, I guess is the best word. It seems like the books are 50% generic info on how to check oil and tire pressures, and most of the more detailed stuff is in short passages ending "for more information, consult the dealer." You can find better info on YouTube.

I'm seeing Haynes manuals on fleabay, but before buying, I'm wondering if they are any good, or should I just try to find a factory manual. Comments?

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
I don't trust aftermarket manuals to have correct info. Factory manuals do have flaws but usually recognizable. Honda manuals will lead you on wild goose chases sometimes by instructing you to do unnecessary things but reading through the procedure before beginning usually exposes what is necessary & what is not.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As i understand it Haynes bought Clymer a while back, i have the Honda 1500 workshop manual for 89-91 and would happily scan you odd bits but its too damn big to do all of it!!

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I like the Hayne's book for the short cuts & tips & different pictures, but the better info is the '97 Honda books (service & electrical manuals), I do occasionally find mistakes in Clymer's and mark/edit them as I go. Final word in any contraversy is the Honda books.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I have the Honda shop manual and the Clymer. I find the Clymer to be more useful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back when I was young (and dinosaurs ruled the Earth), there were only four good sources for repair info -- factory manuals, Chilton's manuals, Haynes manuals, and hanging around the parts counter at the dealership. Haynes used to take a brand new whatever-it-was and tear it down into a pile of screws, springs and gaskets, with lots of good info on every little thing.

Fast forward a few years, and both Chilton's and Haynes have . . .degraded, I guess is the best word. It seems like the books are 50% generic info on how to check oil and tire pressures, and most of the more detailed stuff is in short passages ending "for more information, consult the dealer." You can find better info on YouTube.

I'm seeing Haynes manuals on fleabay, but before buying, I'm wondering if they are any good, or should I just try to find a factory manual. Comments?
I have found the Haynes and Clymer manuals too generic, Chilton a little better at least the older manuals. I have bought the factory manual for my 2005 GL1800 and I must say at times it is a little too technical/detailed. So, I check the Clymer to get the broad overview and if needed I refer back to the factory if more technical info is needed.

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
If you want electrical information there is nothing even in the same league as the factory ETM. I use it way more than the service manual & have since they started producing ETMs in the 1980s. The all in one spaghetti diagram in aftermarket manuals is something I dread even having to look at.

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
I needed a Service Manual for our 2007 Pontiac Vibe, the gas filler hose leaks if we top the tank to the max....
so, we try to guess at a gallon or so less and stop the pump........ we manage that maybe half the time.

so, I started looking for manuals online.... found one at eManualonline.com and bought the one for my 2007.

well, the only thing in that package was the electrical schematic for the 2007, every thing else references the 2005 with Manual Shift, and ours is an Automatic....

and what is worse, there is no mention what so ever of the fuel hose.....
on YouTube, I found one video on the subject, for a 2005 Camry

So, guess I have to call the dealer and pay their ripped off prices to replace the fuel hose?

·
Registered
16 Posts

I go with Clymer... just as good as the factory manual

1 - 13 of 13 Posts