Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Now that I've got the 1100 tuned up and running I've started using it for some of the long distance Patriot Guard Rider events. One of the things the Ride Captain always stresses is ROAD SAFETY. That includes using (if you have 'em) flashing rear and signal lights.

I've searched several GW websites and can not find anything about such lights beinginstalled on a1982 GL1100I. Has anyone ever installed a set on their 1100? If so, how did you do it?

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Yup! I had flashing brake light installed on my '82.

Not sure where I got it. I'll post the link if I find it.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

If you want flashing hazard lights on a 1100 then you have some minor re-wiring to do. Somebody on here made up a diagram, maybe they'll post it.

All i have is the flashing brakes lights.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

It's VERY simple. I have done it to all 6 of my bikes, well 5 actually. My Kawasaki Vulcan 750 already came with hazard flashers. I don't have a diagram, and every bike is wired slightly different, but basically you connect a wire between the right front and left front hot wires to the turn signals. They are already connected to the rear signals. That way when you turn on either R or L signal, all 4 flash. The finishing touch is a switch in the wire you can get to easily. Turn the switch off, and the turn signals will work normally. Turn the switch on, then turn on either R or L turn signals, and you have 4 way hazard flashers. It's basically a switched jumper between right and left signals.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info Jerry.

Will try get the mod done this weekend. On/Off switch is not a problem since I have 3 unused switches on the right side of the fairing. 4th one on the panel runs set of fog/driving lamps.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

switch you need is avaialable from maplin, 6 terminals and you'll need a flasher unit for full load
pm me an i'll see if i can find the diagram one of the fellow members gave me years ago if no one els gets there first

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

4-way flashers installed. As previously stated already had switches available to operate. When I first tried the turn signals and then the 4-ways flashers they ran very S-L-O-W. But changing out the flasher (looked like it was the original one) cured that.

While at it I replaced the old fog/driving lights that were mounted on the both of the forks with a new set. The new high volume lightsare now mounted on the top rail of the engine guards. Also put a high intensity bulb in the headlight. I can now spot deer (I live in deer country) and potholes miles away.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

is there anyway we can get a diagram of this. I would like to do my 1100A, but am kinda challenged when it comes to electrical stuff.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Kevin, I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to electrical things. The actual wiring was done by a friend who is very well versed in electrical matters. I took Jerry's directions to him and he did his "magic" in a matter of minutes. It took longer to go get a new flasher than do the wiring.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

its not hard to modify a 4way flasher on your turn signals

wire in a push button or a switch into the blinker systems for both rh and lh turns that way it goes into the flasher and then all 4 lights should flash no diffrent than any car, truck on the road today

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Ok, I tried this mod with not so good results. first I simply put a jumper wire between the front turn signal wires. I turned on my right signal and the results were not what was expected. The right front signal and both rear signals blinked really fast, the left front signal just fluttered a little. When I turned on the left signal, the left front signal and both rear signals blinked really fast and the right front signal just fluttered a little. I put a switch in to break and complete the circuit and got the same results. So what gives.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

is the flasher able to handle the 4 bulbs at once im sure it can maybe,

if you put the rh and lh wires going into a switch on/off and then have the output wire of the switch go into the flasher all 4 lights should flash equally

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
imported post

oharaLTD wrote:
Ok, I tried this mod with not so good results. first I simply put a jumper wire between the front turn signal wires. I turned on my right signal and the results were not what was expected. The right front signal and both rear signals blinked really fast, the left front signal just fluttered a little. When I turned on the left signal, the left front signal and both rear signals blinked really fast and the right front signal just fluttered a little. I put a switch in to break and complete the circuit and got the same results. So what gives.
Well, simply put it just plain won't work like that. Here is a thread with a crude diagram I drew. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=87792&forum_id=1&highlight=Hazard+flashers

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I re-read the instructions and it worked for calman. I believe I followed them correctly. Dave, not trying to question or doubt your knowledge and ability, but if it worked on calman's bike, why shouldn't it work on mine? and I thank you for your drawing, do you remember the flasher number and switch type?

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
imported post

Don't remember the flasher # but as long as it's a 2 pin heavy duty it will work. The switch is a double pole single throw (DPST).

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

go to autozone and pick up a standard flasher for about 3 or 4 bucks

thanks dave that diagram is what i was trying to say im alot better at doing electrical than i am at explaing it

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Thanks guys,
I'm going to wire up some 4-ways now, thanks to this thread and the associated material. Looks like a piece of cake! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

thanks Dave and for the simple minded like me, a DPST is a four terminal, on, off toggle switch right?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Anything should work long as it's correct for the power use of the turn signals.

As Daves diagram, simplified even more.

You just need a fused hot wire to feed power. Somewhere, anywhere after the fuse, you install the proper type flasher for the type lights you have and a simple ON/OFF switch. Then run a wire to the left and right turn signals.
Left/Right Front/rear should all work at same time.
If not, may be something odd in wiring, just run 2 more wires to the rear and tie them in if rear is not flashing.

If you use higher powered bulbs like 1157/1156 you need a flasher and switch to handle the higher power.
If you use low power LEDS you need a correct flasher for those type lights and a switch.

About any toggle switch rated for the amps/watts of all your lights will do.

The flasher works on the power going through it.
More power the faster it flashes, less power slower it flashes, for standard type flasher units.
You can get them in various types, so if you flash to fast get a flasher for higher power use to flash slower, if too slow get one for less power use.

As far as just using the bike turn switch and running a switched jumper wire to both sides, I'm not sure I like that idea myself. Though it would probably work fine, at least for awhile, your running 2X the power through the flasher and the switch running 2 sides instead of the one side it was meant to run.
The lights may flash 2X as fast, could possibly result in over heating of the flasher or switch also.

Another reason I'd rather have a separate line for 4way is it would work without the key turned on if you wire it direct. So if you want the 4ways on when the bike is parked on side of road or such they work without leaving the key in the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Good info Chromo, Dave and everyone. I picked up a standard auto 552 flasher, but grabbed the wrong switch. My eyes got crossed looking at the fifteen different ones they had. I'll put this on the list of to dos over the winter. Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.