19,237 Posts
imported post

Understandable. Everyone has one now, at least that wants one. :cooldevil:

The rest of the sales are replacements. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
imported post

Sales are down because they build them better. Now you only have to replace them every other year.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:Cuts proffit by 50%

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Maybe I can help them out. I been checking out those RoadKings. I really like the look of the stripped down model with the classic front endhead bezzaland big tire. Took a couple test rides, reminded me of when I used to tractor on the rice farms up north.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

You'd never know it around here. By far the most common bike to see on the road 'round these partsis a paintshaker. Seems like it didn't used to be that way, and the H-Dswere more "rare" - but now they are so common its kind of boring.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
You'd never know it around here. By far the most common bike to see on the road 'round these partsis a paintshaker. Seems like it didn't used to be that way, and the H-Dswere more "rare" - but now they are so common its kind of boring.
Same thing here. Crazy part is, if you glance through a "Cycle-Trader" you'll find 20-30 pages of used Harleys but rarely find more than 3 or 4 individual ads for 4-cylinder Wings. Pretty easy to figure out which bikes are being held onto..... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Prices for HD's has been dropping like a stone here(not sure if this has ever happened in Ont. before) the last year or so.Still doesn't make me want to run out and buy one.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think a lot of the drop off is due to the sagging housing market in the US. If you're one of those happy folks who got into a larger house than you could afford due to the beginning payments on an ARMand also bought a HD with little or no down payment or against home equity, it's probably becoming pretty difficult to keep all the balls in the air unless aunt Maude died and left them her nest egg.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I think a lot of the drop off is due to the sagging housing market in the US. If you're one of those happy folks who got into a larger house than you could afford due to the beginning payments on an ARMand also bought a HD with little or no down payment or against home equity, it's probably becoming pretty difficult to keep all the balls in the air unless aunt Maude died and left them her nest egg.
YEP ! The party's over .

( Also Victory Motorcycle's are taking a lot of customer's away from Harley )

Take Care - Jim

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
imported post

When the economy takes a downturn, the first thing to tighten up is discretionary income. The people that I know that have Harleys have them for the image, not because the bike is a necessity.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

You see them everywhere here in Fl. On the road, it's generally 5 to 1 over goldwings, maybe even more. In the yards for sale, it's more like 100 to 1. People are still into the image thing. The true hardcore harley riders love them and don't think twice about jumping on one and riding any where no matter how far. Then you have the ones who are only out for the show. 200 miles scares them to death.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Same here. Just on my street there are seven houses with Harleys, three of those have at least three Harleys in the garage. There are three houses with sports, I'm the only GL in the area. When I do the thursday coffee lot of the saturday taco lot the Harleys are always the largest count followed by a mix of Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha sport bikes. I like to mix it up so I take the Ducati one night, the GL another and the CBR sometimes as well as the TR and AJS if it's someplaceclose.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

I live about 4 blocks from the local HD dealership. Around here a person could swear there are no other bikes manufactured. Being so close I want to wait until a day with a hi temp of about 20 degrees, get into cutoffs and short sleeves, jump on the GL, ride up to the door, walk in and ask "what the heck, don't nobody ride around here". Guess I better get the flu and pneumonia shots first.

·
Administrator
58,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

That would be funny. Make sure the wing is warmed up before you pull out of the garage :D

won't hurt to have a little engine heat to help you on the way :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I asked a die-hard HD member why the HD shops are now located within eyeshot of major interstates and was told it was a grand marketing scheme.

I asked an average rider and was told it was a matter of convenience, whenever there is a need for that $7.00 quart of oil it is an easy stop on those long 50-60 mile rides.

I asked a HD employee and got an honest reply, the older parts on those HD bikes can fetch a pretty penny and it is easier to pick them up off the interstate when your right there, can hear and see them fall off,,,,,,,,,,,,recycling he said, them big windows facing the interstate are all about recycling.:madeyes::madeyes:

Me I do not like the new HD shop design, sure the floor set up seems friendly and the pretty girl in the middle of the room is nice to look atbut that loud music takes away the majesty of that oil sound when it hits the catch pan under a new HD bike.:grinner:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I think mine partied right out to the end and used it all up.:goofygrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.