Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

He should have come here first.

902 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Ol Stevie Boy 
#1 ·
I was doing some basic maintenance on the Wing today and decided that I would put in the light kit I bought some time ago for the side reflectors on the fairing. I got the left side reflector out without a problem and started looking of the connector for the light wiring harness. I don't see it and decide to pull the pocket out of the faring and look there. Well I found it easy enough, as I stood there shaking my head. The PO was using it to power a cigarette lighter that was located in the left side pocket, and how it was wired was almost unbelievable. The positive side was done with 22 gauge wire and the negative side with 16 gauge. To make this even better all the PO did to connect the wires to the harness was to shove the striped wire into the connector and throw some tape on it to hold it. Needless to say I took all this out, wired in my lights and will properly wire in a 12v outlet in the future. I guess I should be happy that the PO didn't cut the connector off of the bikes wire harness and twist the wires on, though I'm sure he may have thought about it.

Another good example of something that wouldn't have happened if he would have simply come to this forum and asked for advice from the fine members here. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#5 ·
I agree. But not caring may not be the reason. Like mechanical stuff, some people just don't get wiring, and no amount of explaining, or even demonstrating the correct way to do it for them may help at all. Many people think soldering is easy. It's easy for them. MANY people will NEVER grasp the concept. This is the type of person who should not be working on such things.

#3 ·
I remember doing wiring like that once.........

I think I was about 9 years old, I installed my fathers new 8 track player in his car.

#6 ·
At least he didn't cut the connector off. The 84 GL1200 I had one of the previous owners decided he didn't want the radio controls so he cu the wire up at the controls and wrapped the remaining wires around the ignition switch. Then he decided he didn't want the CB antenna and so he just cut the cable back at the rear fender. :lash:

When I decided to get the radio working I had a time finding the radio controls for the 84 model which is different from the other years.

Why do people take shortcuts when it would just take a few extra minutes to do the job right in the first place?? :?

#9 ·
HA!!!! I got a one up on this one. the PO of my machine must have found a close out sale on black wire. EVERYTHING HE HAD DONE HAD BLACK WIRE (ground and live). I kept blowing fuses so I did some research and found out what he had did. I know the guy so I asked him how much does he normally drink when he works on stuff, how long did he have his drug problem etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.