Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Preacher Man
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have never rode another Goldwing nor been around any so I don't know what one should feel like.
I changed the head bearings and torqued to 14 ft/lb after preload and moving from side to side several times but something just don't seem right can't explain the problem too well but i still get a little of what seems to be a looseness in the front end.
I don't have a set of spring scales to check to see if the bearings are tight enough does any one have an idea for me? thanks, Mel

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

I replaced mine last year and torqued everything just like the manual said...still got wobble in the corners. So I went back and tightened the bearing nut about a quarter of a turn and now it rides great. I don't get wobble in the corners and I don't have the wobble that plagues the 1200s when you take your hands off the bars.
I think what caused my problem was the fact that I had the whole front end apart and up in the air. I don't think it let the bottom bearing seat properly. I should have put the tire back on and let the front rest on the ground...I think I would have had better results.
That's what I did...it worked for me but may or may not solve your problem...I would however at least go back in and retorque everything now that you have a few miles on it.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Loose fork bushings and loose wheel bearings can give you that feel as well as some tires and pressures.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

How did the bike feel before the bearings were replaced? Did new bearings help at all?

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

I normally check my bearings when I have the front end in the air for whatever reason. I grab the forks and try to feel for any looseness in movement when pulling/pushing fore and aft on them, you will feel the slop if its there. I consider NO movement in this manner to be acceptable, and it isnt that hard to retorque the bearings.

·
Preacher Man
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the replies. To answer some of the questions- I had a wobble in the front wheel before working on it. There is a definite improvement the tire was also changed with a new one, fork seals were replaced- used ATF for the fork oil,and the brake calipers were rebuilt. It rides much better but still feels a little loose althought with the front wheel off the floor I feel no looseness.I didn't replace wheel bearings. I guess I will go back in and retorque. Mel

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

I have no 1200 experience ,but on the 1100 family there is a high probability of head shake while decelerating . This mostly happens between 40 and 30 MPH . DO NOT take both hands of the bars , and it will happen with only one hand on bars even . IT is more likely tooccur with a worn tire . Again this is my experience with my 1100 .

All this said because you may feel its fixed today . A few thousand miles later the snake may show its head again when you least expect it . Just be aware and keep hands on .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.