Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK,

Recently took my '87 GL1200 Aspencade in for a head gasket replacement. (Probably should of done it myself). Anyway, went to pick it up and found the external small 6mm head bolt located on the bottom of the head leaking through the bolt. I have been lead to believe that the threads on the blockfor this bolt go thru into the oil sump or thru the block. (no backing) I have looked at the parts manual and a tech book but can't find any info on this problem. Am I on the right track or not? Has anyone heard of this and if so what is the fix. Myself, I was thinking a (non-locking) loc-titethread sealant.

Now the worst part was this side was not the one with the blown gasket and I had it done just to be safe, now I have a problem with it.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

How about a stripped out threads particularly on the block side? Or maybe it's loose or doesn't have the correct seal on the bolt.

Last, but not least, incorrect head gasket.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

If the threads are good, I'd gamble on the sealer. Lock-tight does make some decent products. Can't help with the hole depth question...:( :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I am sure the threads are good and head gasket is correct, (other side doesn't have this problem). My freind tried silicone and still leaked. I am not a big fan of silicone at all! (Not my idea.)
However, Wing-Rider you bring up a interesting point, a bolt seal, I see some of the other bolts have this however do not see one for this one.= even (for the other side) in the parts book. Thanks for all the input and brainstorming!

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Does the bike run good? Idles fine and all that stuff?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Funny you say that cause the idle seemed to go up after riding it and finding leak. I noticed it and a cousin disregarded it as an idle adjustment. I am betting it isn't. probably didn't getgasket oncorrectly. eh?

It ran great though for the short distance I went.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

If the gasket is installed correctly, you shouldn't have any leaks. air, water or oil because of the sealing ridges in the gasket.

Did a friend do the work or some sort of company? If it was a company that did it, it's a warranty job, otherwise, check it out for yourself and possibly replace the head gasket again.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Check to make sure its not leaking from the valve cover and ending up at the bolt.

If thats not the case then take the bolt out and wrap the threads with teflon tape and that should stop the oil.

If all else fails take it back to the shop and bitch and complain like HECK

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

I'm no engineer but experience tells me not to use silicone around oil on a gw. I have seen the valve cover leak and drip off the screw under the head. Heat causes the oil to be very thin and not visible until it drips from the screw. This is common.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well it has looked like wronghead gasket in correct package so a re-do is in order for the new wronghead gasket.

FYI

My Friend working at shop is working on it. I do not intend on having hard feelings over this.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Let us know all the details. Enquiring minds want to know!:cool:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

You bet! I am really relieved it was an error in parts and not a major internal mechanical malfunction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.