Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HELP!!!!! Just started to tear down right side of timing belt cover to get to belts and remove, loosened tension screws, removed belt, went to remove center screw for belt drive pulley and head snapped off.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

time for a left handed drill bit and if that dont work an easy out and we wont go past that

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Are you talking about the crankshaft bolt? If so, OH BOY. Is it broken off flush, or is there enough of it to get a hold of with Visegrips, etc? If it broke off that easily, what is left of it is probably stuck in there real good (rust, corrosion), and if you damage the crankshaft trying to get it out, you've pretty much finished off the motor. Proceed with extreme caution. Make sure you have plenty of room to get to it, remove the front wheel and fender if necessary. Use a punch to make a dimple in the exact center of the bolt, to prevent the drill bit from wandering around. I have issues with easy outs, too many times I have seen them break off in a bolt, leaving a surface that can no longer be drilled. A machine shop might be tour best bet.

BTW, why were you trying to remove the crankshaft bolt? It is not necessary to replace the belts. If you are talking about the cam drive pulley, they don't need to come off either, but at least you have a much smaller problem.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

pretty sure he is talking about the cam pulley, thread says he is taking the heads off to replace head gaskets and the cam pulley removal is kinda necessary though not required but its alot easier if ya take it off,

roscoe, i dont know how it broke off but just in case,,,,, NEVER try to turn the engine using the cam bolt it will break

since you are removing the head i think i would take the cam to the machine shop to have it removed

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

i need to replace head gasket, im new at this but i think that is the only way please tell me if im wrong.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

i was trying to just take the pulley off so i could get to the head gasket, if i can do it with out removing please help, i locked pulley in place and had a socket on nut went to turn and head of bolt snapped off.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

hmmmmmmmm highly unusual but possible none the least, take the cam out and take it with you when you take the head to the machine shop for surfacing and have it removed, they have the right stuff to use so as not to damage the cam, probably cost you about 25.00 but worth it in the long run, next thing is to find a new bolt the right size,length and threads

on my 1200 removing the head is possible without removing the cam sproket but i am not sure about on the 1100, either way its better you found this problem now rather than when riding it down the road, dont forget the new belts while you have all the work done to get to them

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Roscoe1 wrote:
i was trying to just take the pulley off so i could get to the head gasket, if i can do it with out removing please help, i locked pulley in place and had a socket on nut went to turn and head of bolt snapped off.
The head is coming off any way so remove the camshaft and if you're not comfortable with trying to drill the remains of the bolt out take it to a machine shop and they will nine times out of ten get it out for you.

If you or the machine shop fail it's time to search evilbay or similar places for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thank you everyone for all your help, it is really appreciated, i am not completely stupid i just have never done this before. I work with horses, Its just little things that come up that if you have not done it before they stump me. Can you tell if a head gasket is blown by looking at it, i finally have gooten to mine there was defintly water and antifreeze where it should not of been but the gasket did not look bad to me. thank you all

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

usually by the time you get them off it is impossible to "read" them, the heads is aluminum so its not likely to crack so just have it surfaced and reinstall with a new oem gasket (from honda) the aftermarket gaskets suck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.