Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Pulled the heads to replace the gasket due to milky oil and low coolant level. Please take a look at these pics and let me know if there is anything that doesn't look right. I want to ensure that everything looks okay before I put the heads back on. This is the right head. I'll be doing the left head next. There was some water in the left hand cylinder. The gasket looked to be in pretty decent shape. Is there another way for water to get in? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

very small amount around the outside edge of the piston. The cylinder walls are very clean. The bike sat for about 1.5 years. I figured this was due to condensations. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Most likely is condensation, picturemakes itlook worse than it is.

As long as the cylinder isn't damaged it will be OK.

Just thought maybe that's where the antifreeze was going, from a blown head gasket

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Recently bought a 89 GL1500. Have been smelling and tasting antifreeze. Changed radiator cap. No help. Can only find one source of leak and that iscoolant dripping out bottom until engine warms up then no more leakage. Loosing very little coolant. Can ride for hous with no leak. Found the source of leak. Seems to be coming outboth heads at #7 head bolt between engine and head. Does this mean warped cylinderhead? Or bad head gasket? No evidence ofwater in oil. Bike shows 64K miles.Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

You might try to run a straight edge across the head in several different spots to insure that the head is not warped due to the engine being overheated. A machine may be able to mill the head back to a flat surface....-Rich

·
1,716 Posts
imported post

The "cleaner" cylinder has run on water/coolant ! On your head it looks like the left one , and on your cylinder it looks like the center one , - but this is difficult to see on pictures .
Check the head for warp , and if ok , put it back on with a new gasket , and see what happens .
Worth a try before pulling the next head ! (wery unusual for both to "give up" at the same time).

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

I see no problem with that head. To fill the crankcase with water and turn it milky white requires a fairly substantial head gasket failure. This would be evident in a washed out combustion chamber, which I really do not see in your pictures. A simple leak down test with the valves backed off done prior to tear down would have told you which, if any, cylinder was the culprit.

The water pump area has a number of seals. I have not worked on a 1500 water pump and cannot state that a cross leak is possible. Others might ring in one way or the other.

JD

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I hope you all realize that kawrite resurrected a three year old thread and the pictures are not his.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

The head looks good enough, although the picture isn't great quality. Check the two spots I marked, if they are pitted the head could need to be resurfaced/skimmed.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I posted here first being new and all, I didn't know there was a better place to do it. A few minutes after I posted this comment I found the other "place" to post. No these are not my heads. Mine are still on.Thanks for all your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.