Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok, so whatchamacallit cycles has listings on ebay for head gaskets. Service honda has them, for nearly doublethe listings by you know who...

Does anyone know a source thats good for price and reliable, re: 1200 head gaskets?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

On critical engine parts I find it best to stick with OEM parts if I can still get them. Like certain foods I like, only the brand name will do for me regardless of the price.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I used to have an old FelPro/Federal Mogul catalog, but it was ancient, so I pitched it. If you can get Fel Pro Permatorque Bluehead gaskets for your Wing - Buy 'em.

I've used these without incident on many an automotive overhaul. Good stuff.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

it'd be hard to get them with out a part number. I wonder if napa could cross...

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

They are $8 each more at Cheap Cycle Parts. Bought a pair a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com- part #12251-MG9-306

My one time of purchasing from 'the other place', I bought a head gasket, trying to save a buck. I didn't use it. Below is a picture of a gasket from Cheap Cycle Parts and one from SC. The CSP gasket is on the left and SC on the right. Here's the high rez picture. You decide. :)

John

low rez picture

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
They are $8 each more at Cheap Cycle Parts. Bought a pair a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com- part #12251-MG9-306

My one time of purchasing from 'the other place', I bought a head gasket, trying to save a buck. I didn't use it. Below is a picture of a gasket from Cheap Cycle Parts and one from SC. The CSP gasket is on the left and SC on the right. Here's the high rez picture. You decide. :)

John
Wow, quite telling. One looks like a head gasket, the other may not even work for any sealing purpose, let alone cylinder pressures.

Let this be one of many lessons for those praising SC here!

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Wow, quite telling. One looks like a head gasket, the other may not even work for any sealing purpose, let alone cylinder pressures.

Let this be one of many lessons for those praising SC here!
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I'd say this one speaks volumes.

In all fairness I'd say the SC gasketmaterial would probably make a decent theromstat housing gasket. :dude:

John

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

For Head gaskets, you would be well advised to stick to the Genuine Honda item, unless of course, you enjoy changing head gaskets. :)

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Bikebandit.com has always done well for me.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

Quite a difference there John, thanks for posting the photo and the link... :gunhead:

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Geordiemuppet wrote:
For Head gaskets, you would be well advised to stick to the Genuine Honda item, unless of course, you enjoy changing head gaskets. :)
FYI, the gaskets from Cheap Cycle are OEM. :)

Shooter wrote:
Quite a difference there John, thanks for posting the photo and the link... :gunhead:
Glad to help where I can. :)

John

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
they want $17 to ship to me... wowzers... 2 head gaskets?
Who, Cheap Cycle? I just checked my receipt and it was $14.43 for two head gaskets and a clutch cable for my brother's bike. :baffled:

John

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I used their 'estimate shipping' thing, put in my zip, and got nearly 17...

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Sheesh that sucks. Maybe it's because they are still delivering using horses in CG? ;):dude:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

could be. I would call them, but I cant get mabel, our operator to answer the line. There's someone on the party line right now.

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

:D:D Don't hurt yourself climbing that pole to get to the phone. :dude:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

called the stealership looking for head gaskets for mine.... told me $55.18 with 2-3 day shipping....... I told her that I was surprised that Honda had competitive pricing. Every time I have gone to the dealership they have been WAY over priced.........

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Panatellos wrote:
called the stealership looking for head gaskets for mine.... told me $55.18 with 2-3 day shipping....... I told her that I was surprised that Honda had competitive pricing. Every time I have gone to the dealership they have been WAY over priced.........
That was $55.18 each right? If you don't know that for sure you better check. $50-$55 each is the current going rate from all the Honda dealers I've checked.

Tacoma Motorsports, Hinshaws Honda, Southbound Honda, Brother's Honda- all local dealers - GASKET, CYL HD (12251-MG9-306) $51.51 Southern Honda in TN - same price
Eastside Honda in Baytown, TX - same price
Honda of Houston - $52.54 each

Honda Directline has it listed for $39.10 each, but don't buy from them if you're in a hurry. ;)
John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.