Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
For engine hard parts, go OEM only...it'll cost you less in the long run.

When the "cheaper" gasket set fails, it'll cost you the set again...plus whatever damage gets done when the gasket fails.

Your engine will thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Mike's right. Too many horror stories about the cheap aftermarket head gaskets going wrong. And I've personally experienced the cheap valve cover gaskets... not fun. Go with OEM, you'll thank yourself when it's all said and done.

Try Western Honda. They're a dealer here in phoenix but they do ship and their prices are almost untouchable.

http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1985&fveh=124724
This link goes to the parts list for the LTD, but it's easy enough to move to your model.

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what about all the extra stuff like oil passage orings and coolant tube and intake orings should all that be oem or is aftermarket ok on those

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
You ,might as well get it all from Honda it will fit and you only have to pay the shipping once.

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tried to order gasket a kit or b kit on the honda parts fiche but the image won't come up to see what it comes with id hate to order all parts seperatly cause im not sure of all i need ahhh what a pain

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
The kit is not available any more.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
If you can find Athena or Vesrah gasket sets you will be fine with them. If you want to be totally sure, a pair of head gaskets are all the OEM parts you will need. I personally use the Athena gaskets and not had a problem.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Exactly what you need would depend on how you take it apart. If I remember, here's what I usually get...

2 head gaskets
2 oring oil orifice large
2 oring oil orifice small
2 gaskets for the coolant feed on the top of the head
4 orings for the water pipes on top of the head
4 exhaust packings for the head
2 muffler packings (you may be able reuse the old)
4 orings for the intake manifolds (you may be able to reuse)
2 valve cover gaskets (if they haven't been replaced recently)
8 valve cover grommets (if they haven't been replaced recently)
1 oring water pump cover (I like to unbolt the rad here instead of the bottem hose)

And of course any fluids you might need. There's no reason to unbolt and remove the cam and holder, but if you do...you'll probably want the gasket between the inner timing belt covers bolted to the front of the head. And it's probably also a good time to replace the front and rear cam seals.

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok well looks like ive got a little thinking to do thank you all for your input found the athena gasket set on ebay so im pondering that. and ive also read on other forums they are of good quality thanks again to all..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.