Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have read other notes on here about excessive smoking and that wings are prone to it, but my 87 seems to blow alot of steam when she is first started and then again when I restart her after a good run. the smoke subsides after15 to 20 seconds and it smells like antifreeze. I am going to put head gaskets on her this week. I bought this bike in pieces except for the engine and I don't know the history of this bike so I thought the head gaskets would be a good place to start. The bike runs great and I hate to pull it apart but I'm worried about further damage. I haven't noticed any loss of coolant and there is no coolant in the oil either. Any thoughts on where the steam is coming from before I take her apart?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

diver dean wrote:
.....but my 87 seems to blow alot of steam when she is first started and then again when I restart her after a good run. the smoke subsides after15 to 20 seconds.....
Is it smoke or steam? You need to be sure before going further. If it is smoke, you may just have the usual startup smoke from old valve stem seals.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Smells like antifreeze is not a good sign... check for coolant loss and/or bubbles coming back up through the overflow bottle.. bubbles may not be easy to detect as they are worse under load...

word to the wise.. use high quality head gaskets if changing them... best if they are OEM

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

Mine did the same. The steam was condensation (high humidity around here) and the antifreeze smell went away when I replaced the coolant hose that goes from the radiator cap to the reservoir. I recommend you start by replaciong a 1 buck hose before you dig in any further. The only thing you need to remove to access it is your faux tank.(4 bolts) Keep us posted and welcome to the forum!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.