Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is it possible to have the Left Camshaft 1 full (360) degrees off? Every Time I turn it, it comes back to the same position on all of the lifters. My delima is now, I cannot even turn the engine eithr a wrench or turnhandle but 2 notches. It is extremely tight, and I made sure the torque ws in ft lbs. 40 on the heads, 15 on the cam bolts, 55 on the BBelt Pulley. I put it together the same way it come apart, but I did rotate the camshaft when I 1st had it out of the head to measure for wear, and I cannot rember what it was on. Would it be better to just take the belts back off, and put it on T1? It was on F1 when I started, and that is where it is now. Could I be 1 turn off? What should I do?
Thanks,
Nightrider1

Added: It is in Netural

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I need some info. Why is the engine so difficult to turn over?
Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have a valve meeting with a piston. Piston usually wins in them cases, and bends the valve.

Did you touch or turn the crank when you had the heads off?

I haven't needed to be that far into the engine, but there are several here that have been.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

You should be using T-1 for cam alinement not F-1 thats for checking timing with engine runing. hope you havent bent a valve. that maybe the reason why engine will not turn

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

and back out all the valve adjusters all the way until you know exactly where you are.. You probably have some interference..

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I found out I was in tolerance between the F1 and T1. I went with T1 all away across the board, and got the timing marks exact. On the pulleys, The Clymer Manual said on page 7-2 55ft lbs and 20 ft lbs, and on 7-16, went back to 55ft lbs. I threw that book in the trash.
I had the plugs out, and It took a lot of muscle to turn it. No valves hiting. None very "Loose" like a beny valve. i done that on my very 1st one, and if it had not been for Jim and some others, I would have went nuts. I finally got it together enogh to ride it to the 1st NASSIR1, after a few thousand miles i put on it.
I backed off to 20 ftlbs on the camshaft pulley, and it started roling over a little easier. One turn put it on T2, so all I like now is adding coolant, and doing an enfine/oil flush. I'm gonna use the old oil and filter out of my GL1100 and use it for the flush, and them change the oil in both.
I never got to do a compression test on this, but talking about tight turning, that just took all I ad to get it started to turn. It finally eased up some. I expect a smoothe startup, with some old oil/coolant burnout if any is left in the engine to get to the cylinders. There probably is some hiding somewhere.
I backed off the valve adjusters, and that made it much esier to turn. I am still going to have to adjust that side, but I think that may be easieer than what I went through so far. I have never experienced this on a 1 side rebuild, but I have on a fully rebuilt engine.
Thanks For the help everyone! I appreciate you all.
Sincerely,
David

P.S. Has anyone ever used any Avation Gasket Sealant for your seals? It's the best you can buy. The only place I did not put any was on the Head or head gasket.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Sounds like you have a valve meeting with a piston. Piston usually wins in them cases, and bends the valve.

Did you touch or turn the crank when you had the heads off?

I haven't needed to be that far into the engine, but there are several here that have been.
Sam,
The only time i urned the camshaft ws 90 degrees clockwise then I decided to go with the T1 Setting on the belts. Right after that, I set my pulleys on the timing marks and then turned the camshft back TDC and checked it to make sure it was on T1. It Was, so after I got the first belt on, I held it with a pair of needle nose plyers after I got the 1st belt on, and I was 1 tooth up, so I went foward 1 tooth on the left side. it lined up 100% perfectly. 1st time I ever had that happen.
When I hd initally took it off, I set the timing marks, and it lined up etween the F1 and T1, much closer to the F1 mark, but was really noisy. I'm gonna take the res of the day off and hope I can find the time to finish it tommorrow. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.