Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally got my endorsement today - passed the class with flying colors. Now I can ride the at night. The few times I have been out - trying to get home before it was pitch black- the head light did not seem very bright. My question is how do I adjust the headlight. I know where the adjustment knob is (behind the stereo in the fairing)

I am hoping someone has a jig type suggestion. "Like in the garage line up the headlight from 10 feet from the wall- it should be 3 feet and slightly to the right."

Can I add a light bar?

1982 1100 Interstate

Thanks guys!

Mike

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

The only thing I can say, and it's not a fix or suggestion is:

THE HEADLIGHT IS AT BEST,............................BAD!:X

I have two 55 watt auxiliary lights on my 83 but don't use them except when on the open highway. And not very often then. I'm more worried about the charging system keeping up, although it always has. I keep them hooked up on a separate switch for use in an emergency, like when the headlight burns out and you are 30 miles from home on a pitch black night with nothing but tired truckers and drunks on the road!

Congratulations on your endorsement! :clapper:
Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Hmmm i think my head light works fine at night on low beam and high beam i can see maybe 1/4 mile ahead. I do have it adjusted a little high though.

I cant tell you any trick but just drive around and adjust it as you go till it looks good.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

May get jumped for this, but I use the 3ft rule at about twenty feet, and dead on. You may also want to up-grade to a newer lamp. I believe the current favorite is made by Phillips. You'll have to do a search for the number. As I recall it was a fairly recent post, 1-2 weeksago. Good Luck.... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I can only assume that the headlight on an 1100 is even worse than the headlight on my 1200.

You can easily add extra spotlights to the front of the bike. However you should wire them so that they can only be turned on when the bike is switched to full beam.

Do this by using an ancillary relay and using the full beam trigger to operate the relay. Feed the contact of the relay from a suitably rated fuse through a switch to enable independant isolation of the extra lamp then to the lamp.

If you do it this way you wont have any electrical problems as long as you dont overload the stator by adding 4000000 other electrical devices as goldwing owners have been known to do. Also you wont blind oncoming traffic with the extra lights glaring in their eyes, and here in NZ you wont get fined.

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.