Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
awall
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently upgraded to a 2008 level 3 was thinking of putting modulators on head and tail lights was wondering if any one has done this and knows which ones are best. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
do an internet search for GL1800 headlight modulators, will probably find Kissan among others

At a Wing riding class I watched several 1800s, the ones with modulated/flashing lower cowl lights/driving lights stood out the best.

Cagers dont compute the closeness of the Wing headlights compared to a cage, and dont understand your speed or distance = closure rate and lane position.

A Triangle of Light with the lowers flashing on one or both sides will definitely get motorist attention

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Here in Cape Ann, Massachusetts, flashing your headlight means "I see you, go ahead and pull out of your street into the traffic". Great way to get yourself in an accident, so no one in this area uses them.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Here in Cape Ann, Massachusetts, flashing your headlight means "I see you, go ahead and pull out of your street into the traffic". Great way to get yourself in an accident, so no one in this area uses them.
I had never heard that side of a discussion on the topic. That being said, I may just look into brake light flashers for my bike.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
A modulating headlight will get attention. But its up to the motorist to interpret what it means. Such as "wait I'm coming through" OR "go ahead and pull out in front of me".

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I had never heard that side of a discussion on the topic. That being said, I may just look into brake light flashers for my bike.

After a short time with my headlight modulator, I will NOT have a bike without one. It is an attention getter.

[/QUOTE]"Here in Cape Ann, Massachusetts, flashing your headlight means "I see you, go ahead and pull out of your street into the traffic". Great way to get yourself in an accident, so no one in this area uses them. "[/QUOTE]

Must be a regional thing. In my 59 years in the Midwest, I have never heard that.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Yes Ive seen 1800s with the driving lights on modulate, highly recommend as best to attract attention.

There is a major difference between flashing your headlights once to acknowledge someone,
and the rapid pulse of a headlight modulator saying LOOK OUT! Freight Trains a Comin!!

2 Modulated headlights can look like LE, and you know how well people see and move over for that~ (not at all)

Only 1 of 2 headlights on mod works pretty well, based on viewing sportbikes on the road.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use a dual harness modulator on my 1500 from signal dynamics, it is great with a lot of features. it can be tied into your horn so that it will modulate faster when you hit it. You can also adjust the modulating speed from just turning the high/low beam up and down 2 times really fast. The only bad thing about it is it cant be hooked up to LED's.

If you want LED's I would recommend Kriss.com, they have one that can modulate certain LEDs.

I know in MD, it is illegal to use a modulator on fog lights or driving lights, it must be the headlight. The law might have changed since I got my MC license in 2015, but I doubt.

I HIGHLY recommend a good flasher. Most people I have encountered up and down the east coast think it is a cop MC and give me distance.

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've had both headlight & brake light modulators for about 4 years. As was said by others, I wouldn't be without them. I've never experienced anyone confusing the rapid flash rate of the modulator with a simple flash to 'go ahead'. However, and maybe it's my imagination, I have seen folks who appeared to be considering pulling out, that then saw the flashing headlight, and stopped their forward progress. Many times. And, contrary to many conversations I've heard while hanging out at rallies, from guys who just seem to attract people that pull out in front of them daily, I honestly have had no one pull out in front of me in 4 years and 20K miles. Seems unbelievable, but true. Like I said. I won't ride without them. Of course, the rear of my bike looks like a Christmas tree when I hit the brakes. But, hey, it works.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
A modulating headlight will get attention. But its up to the motorist to interpret what it means.
Taken a bit out of context, I had my wife (not a motorcycle rider by any stretch of the imagination) tell me what she saw and thought after seeing the brake light flasher I just installed, and her response was "I know you are doing something, but I am not sure what it is." Mission accomplished! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Thats a good point- in selecting what modes you use
You want something cagers can easily interpret correctly as motorcycle or something Slowing or Stopped ahead

The human eye detects movement/motion, too many different things from the brake lights can cause brain stutter.

Observe your bike with different modes and imagine being that on the phone, not looking ahead- typical cager-
are you simulating a lane closed traffic sign or definitely a vehicle slowing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have modulators on both the front and rear of my bike and won't be without them. I have had people pull over thinking that I was a LEO and I just give them a wave or thumbs up. All of the LEO's around here have red and blue flashing lights, are on two wheels and wear black leather jackets or blue shirts. I am on a trike and wear a high visible coat so they should be able to tell the difference. There are cars that tell me something is wrong with my headlight and I tell them it is okay it is a safety device to help be seen. I did have one person cuss us out because he was distracted by the light. I explained that it was a safety device which didn't satisfy him. I have had very few cars pull out in front of me since I got the modulator and the ones that have never even looked in my direction.
Riding in groups I turn it off because there a a lot of other bikes around to help get other drivers attention. The modulator in the rear flashes fast four times then stays on steady for three or four seconds and then repeats. The people that have ridden behind me say that it is very noticeable that I am stopping. When I am pulling my trailer it blinks the same.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
The modulator in the rear flashes fast four times then stays on steady for three or four seconds and then repeats. The people that have ridden behind me say that it is very noticeable that I am stopping.
Mine flashes 10 times then stays on steady. I will have to set the delay and repeat part. Good idea!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I would prefer, in my opinion, that a couple flashes and then staying on to be the best.
In my mind if the cycle repeats you're NOT stopping you are just tapping the brakes to slow down.
Flash flash on, means I'm (you) are on the brakes for reason, but hey that's just my logic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.